Elementary Row Operations on Matrices

In summary, row operations are used to solve systems of equations and are based on the principle that applying an invertible transformation to both sides of an equation does not change the solution set. This includes interchanging two rows, multiplying a row by a scalar, and replacing one row with the sum of it and a multiple of another row. The third operation can be inverted and therefore does not change the solution set. However, the operation of multiplying a row by 0 is not invertible and does change the solution set. Row operations can also be seen as applying fundamental matrices, which are invertible except for the one corresponding to multiplying a row by 0.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I understand why two of the three row operations do not change the solution set of a system:

1. Interchange two rows. (Doesn't make much difference in what order one decides to write down the linear equations does it?)

2. Multiply a row by a scalar. (This step doesn't change the solution set because e.g. writing 2x = 6 instead of x = 3 doesn't change the geometric situation at all)

It's the third one that's giving me trouble:

3. Replace one row with the sum of it and a multiple of another row.

Even though this is the key method of solving simultaneous equations, I cannot justify to myself that it doesn't change the solution set of a system. Can anyone shed light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
All 3 follow from a general principle:

Applying an invertible transformation to both sides of an equation does not change the solution set.

The third operation:

Replace row i with the sum of row i and r times row j (where r is nonzero)

can be inverted with the operation

Replace row i with the sum of row i and -r times row j

This row operation is invertible, and thus does not change the solution set.

Another way of thinking about it is that "row operations" are precisely the way we solve systems of equations. Multiplying a row by a number is the same as multiplying the entire equation by that number. Swapping two rows is the same as switching the position of two equations in the system. Adding a multiple of one row to another is precisely what you do when you multiply one equation by a number in order that the coefficient of, say, x is the negative of the coefficient in another equation and then add the two equations to eliminate x.

By the way, the general statement "row operations do not change the solution to a system of equations" is not true!

The row operation "multiply a row by 0" is not invertible and does change the solution set! (Which is why some texts specifically exclude that from the definition of "row operation".)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another way of looking at it (perhaps the most basic way):

A "fundamental" matrix is a matrix derived by applying a row operation to the identity matrix.

For example, the fundamental 3 by 3 matrix corresponding to "add two times the first row to the third row" is

[1 0 0]
[0 1 0]
[2 0 1].

It's easy to show that multiplying a matrix by a fundamental matrix is exactly the same as applying the corresponding row operation to that matrix. It's also easy to see that any fundamental matrix (except that corresponding to "multiply a row by 0") is invertible.

Applying a row operation to the "augmented matrix" of a matrix equation is the same as multiplying both sides of the matrix equation by the corresponding fundamental matrix.

Related to Elementary Row Operations on Matrices

What are elementary row operations on matrices?

Elementary row operations on matrices are a set of three operations that can be performed on a matrix: 1) Multiply a row by a non-zero constant, 2) Add a multiple of one row to another row, and 3) Swap two rows. These operations are used to manipulate the entries of a matrix in order to solve systems of linear equations or simplify the matrix for other calculations.

How do elementary row operations affect the row echelon form of a matrix?

Elementary row operations preserve the solutions of a system of linear equations and do not change the row space of a matrix. Therefore, they do not change the row echelon form of a matrix. However, they can be used to simplify the matrix and make it easier to determine the solutions to the system of equations.

Can elementary row operations be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, elementary row operations are a useful tool for solving systems of linear equations. By performing these operations on a matrix, you can manipulate the matrix into an upper triangular form, which makes it easier to find the solutions to the system of equations.

Are there any rules or limitations for performing elementary row operations?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when performing elementary row operations. First, when multiplying a row by a constant, the constant cannot be equal to zero. Second, when adding a multiple of one row to another row, the multiple cannot be zero. Finally, when swapping two rows, the order of the rows must be maintained.

Can elementary row operations be performed on any type of matrix?

Elementary row operations can be performed on any type of matrix, as long as the matrix has the same number of rows and columns. This includes square matrices, rectangular matrices, and matrices with complex entries. However, the resulting matrix may not always be useful or meaningful depending on the context of the problem being solved.