Using Kepler's constant for Jupiter

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating Kepler's constant for Jupiter given its mass and the mass of the sun. The formula for Kepler's constant is K = G(M+m)/4pi^2, and the dimensions of K are [Length]3/[Time]2. It is recommended to express the period in seconds if using the formula with G.
emadtheman

Homework Statement

Given that Jupiter has a mass of 1.9*10^27kg, and the sun has a mass of 1.99*10^30kg:

a)Calculate the value of Kepler's constant for Jupiter

Homework Equations

k = r^3/T^2
K = G(M+m)/4pi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since the question only gave me the mass of Jupiter and the Sun I'm assuming that I should use Gm/4pi^2 instead even though this formula should only be used when the masses of the two objects (Jupiter and Sun) are close to each other...right?

Let G = Universal gravitational constant
Let M = mass of the Sun
Let m = mass of Jupiter

K = G(M+m)/4pi^2
k = (6.67*10^-11)(1.99*10^30 + 1.9*10^27)/4pi^2
=3.365*10^18, I'm not sure about the units for this formula

I'm pretty sure I can't use k = r^3/T^2 because the question didn't provide me with enough information to do so, but out of curiosity I googled the radius of Jupiter along with its period and plugged it in the formula:

radius (r) is in meters and period (T) is in days (should it be in days or years?)
k = r^3/T^2
= 71492000^3/4331.57^2
= 1.9475*10^16 m/d

If T was in years (11.89):
k = r^3/T^2
= 71492000^3/11.89^2
= 2.584*10^21 m/y

Ok, so clearly these numbers aren't close to the one above. Can you guys point out what I'm doing wrong?

also another confusion that I have, according to other sources(Wikipedia) Kepler's constant should be k = T^2/r^3 rather than(my textbook) k = r^3/T^2.

and if I use K = T^2/r^3 (for T is in days)
K = 5.134*10^-17 d/m

for T in years:
k = 3.868*10^-22 y/m

Please help me out on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Your dimensions need fixing. The dimensions of K (or k) are [Length]3/[Time]2. If you choose the formula that has G in it, it is less confusing to do all calculations expressing the period in seconds, then convert to m3/yr2 for K if you wish. That's because G has "seconds" buried in it as its units are N.m2/kg2 and N = kg.m/s2.

Thanks for the reply.
according to what you said, in this case, would it be better to use the formula with G in it?

also, Should the calculation be done in years or days?

Either way should give you the same number. However, if you use the formula with G, the period must be expressed in seconds.

ok, I'll try that.
thanks a bunch for the help. I'll come back to this topic again next week as I'm going on a short trip.

Related to Using Kepler's constant for Jupiter

1. What is Kepler's constant for Jupiter?

Kepler's constant for Jupiter, also known as the third law of planetary motion, is a mathematical constant that relates a planet's orbital period to its distance from the sun. It is represented by the symbol "k" and has a value of approximately 0.000976.

2. How is Kepler's constant used for Jupiter?

Kepler's constant is used to calculate the orbital period of Jupiter, which is the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit around the sun. By knowing the orbital period and the distance from the sun, scientists can also calculate other important properties of Jupiter's orbit, such as its velocity and the size of its orbit.

3. Why is Kepler's constant important for studying Jupiter?

Kepler's constant is important for studying Jupiter because it helps scientists understand the planet's motion and its relationship with the sun. By using this constant, scientists can make predictions and observations about Jupiter's orbit and better understand its behavior and characteristics.

4. Does Kepler's constant change for different planets?

Yes, Kepler's constant can change for different planets depending on their distance from the sun. It is a universal constant, meaning it applies to all planets in the solar system, but the specific value will vary depending on the planet's orbital distance.

5. Can Kepler's constant be used for other celestial bodies besides Jupiter?

Yes, Kepler's constant can be used for other celestial bodies besides Jupiter. It can be applied to any object in orbit around the sun, such as other planets, moons, asteroids, and comets. However, the specific value of the constant will differ depending on the object's distance from the sun.