Using Integral methods to find a summation of series (infinite)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{9n^2 + 3n - 2}$ and various methods to do so. The easiest way is to use partial fractions and convert it into a telescoping series. However, the person is interested in finding a way to use integrals to derive the sum. They discuss using a definite integral and an improper integral, but it does not work. The person is still interested in finding a way to use integration to find the sum.
Amad27
Hi, let's take the sum:

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{9n^2 + 3n - 2}$

$\implies 9n^2 + 3n - 2 = 9n^2 + 6n - 3n - 2 = 3n(3n + 2) - (3n + 2) = (3n - 1)(3n - 2)$

The simplest way would be to use partial fractions, and then convert this into a telescoping series. Which makes the sum extremely simple, but I am looking for a way in, which I could use integrals, perhaps a definite integral in, which I could derive this sum. Any ideas?

The $f(n)$ is $f(n) = \frac{1}{(3n-1)(3n-2)}$

$f'(n) = \frac{-9(2n-1)}{(9n^2 - 9n + 2)^2}$

$\displaystyle \int_{n}^{n+1} \frac{-9(2x-1)}{(9x^2 - 9x + 2)^2} \,dx$ does not work.

I was thinking of making a infinite sum partition of an improper integral part of, which the result would the required sum: $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{9n^2 + 3n - 2}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Olok said:
Hi, let's take the sum:

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{9n^2 + 3n - 2}$

$\implies 9n^2 + 3n - 2 = 9n^2 + 6n - 3n - 2 = 3n(3n + 2) - (3n + 2) = (3n - 1)(3n - 2)$

The simplest way would be to use partial fractions, and then convert this into a telescoping series. Which makes the sum extremely simple,

You have made a mistake it should be $(3n+2)(3n-1)$.

ZaidAlyafey said:
You have made a mistake it should be $(3n+2)(3n-1)$.
that is indeed what I meant, you can see that I meant that by seeing the factors, it was a typo. Thanks!

But so, is there a way for doing this using integration.

For some reason integration and its link to series interests me a lot, so that is why I am trying to find this out!

Thanks!

Olok said:
that is indeed what I meant, you can see that I meant that by seeing the factors, it was a typo. Thanks!

But so, is there a way for doing this using integration.

For some reason integration and its link to series interests me a lot, so that is why I am trying to find this out!

Thanks!

You already did it correctly in this http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/interchanging-summation-integrals-13033.html#post61800.

Related to Using Integral methods to find a summation of series (infinite)

1. Can integral methods be used to find the summation of any series?

Yes, integral methods can be used to find the summation of any series, as long as the series is convergent. This means that the series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How does using integral methods differ from using other methods, such as the geometric series formula?

Using integral methods involves evaluating the infinite series as a limit of Riemann sums and then using integration techniques to find the value. This is different from using other methods, like the geometric series formula, which only work for specific types of series.

3. What are the advantages of using integral methods to find summations?

One advantage of using integral methods is that it can be used for a wider range of series compared to other methods. It also provides a more rigorous and precise way of finding the sum of a series, as it involves evaluating a limit rather than just using a formula.

4. Are there any limitations to using integral methods for finding summations?

One limitation is that it can be time-consuming and require advanced knowledge of calculus and integration techniques. Additionally, it may not be possible to use integral methods for series that do not have a closed-form solution.

5. Can integral methods be used to prove the convergence of a series?

Yes, integral methods can be used to prove the convergence of a series. By evaluating the integral representation of the series, one can determine if the series converges or diverges based on the behavior of the integral.