Using Hess's Law to calculate ΔH°rxn

• Thread starter littlebearrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the student attempted to calculate ΔH°rxn for the following equation: C3H8(g) + 4 CO2(g) + 4 H2(g) → C7H16(g) + 4 O2(g) However, they became stuck when trying to solve for ΔH°rxn for the equation C3H8(g) + 5 O2(g) → 3 CO2(g) + 4 H2O(g) . After swapping the middle and solving for ΔH°rxn, the student was able to find the correct answer for the equation C3H8(g) + 4 CO2(g) + 4 H2(g) → C
littlebearrrr

Homework Statement

Calculate ΔH°rxn in kJ/mol for:

C3H8(g) + 4 CO2(g) + 4 H2(g) → C7H16(g) + 4 O2(g)

from the following given values of ΔH°rxn:

C3H8(g) + 5 O2(g) → 3 CO2(g) + 4 H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -2,010 kJ/mol

C7H16(g) + 11 O2(g) → 7 CO2(g) + 8 H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -4,426 kJ/mol

H2(g) + ½ O2(g) → H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -241.8 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I swapped the middle to give +4,426 kJ/mol. Then I tried multiplying the middle by 1/2 and the third one by 4. Am I on the right track? Anything else need to be swapped? I feel like the next step should be obvious; I'm just stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
littlebearrrr said:

Homework Statement

Calculate ΔH°rxn in kJ/mol for:

C3H8(g) + 4 CO2(g) + 4 H2(g) → C7H16(g) + 4 O2(g)

from the following given values of ΔH°rxn:

C3H8(g) + 5 O2(g) → 3 CO2(g) + 4 H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -2,010 kJ/mol

C7H16(g) + 11 O2(g) → 7 CO2(g) + 8 H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -4,426 kJ/mol

H2(g) + ½ O2(g) → H2O(g) ΔH°rxn= -241.8 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I swapped the middle to give +4,426 kJ/mol. Then I tried multiplying the middle by 1/2 and the third one by 4. Am I on the right track? Anything else need to be swapped? I feel like the next step should be obvious; I'm just stuck.
You almost have it. Just don't multiply the middle one by 1/2.

Likes 1 person
Ahh, okay thanks! I solved it by swapping the middle and just multiplying the bottom by 4. I figured out what stumped me; it was not knowing how to get the unwanted compounds in the reactions to cancel out. I get it now though.

Related to Using Hess's Law to calculate ΔH°rxn

What is Hess's Law?

Hess's Law is a principle in thermodynamics that states that the enthalpy change of a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken to go from reactants to products.

How is Hess's Law used in calculating ΔH°rxn?

Hess's Law is used by breaking down a chemical reaction into a series of smaller reactions whose enthalpy changes are known. By using simple algebraic manipulation, the enthalpy change of the original reaction can be calculated.

What are the steps for using Hess's Law to calculate ΔH°rxn?

The steps for using Hess's Law are: 1) Write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction of interest. 2) Identify any intermediate reactions that can be used to break down the overall reaction. 3) Write out the intermediate reactions and their corresponding enthalpy changes. 4) Manipulate the equations to cancel out any substances that appear on both sides. 5) Add all of the enthalpy changes to calculate the final enthalpy change for the reaction of interest.

What are the assumptions made when using Hess's Law?

The main assumptions made when using Hess's Law are that the reactions are taking place under standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm), and that the enthalpy changes are independent of the temperature and pressure.

Can Hess's Law be used for reactions that involve different states of matter?

Yes, Hess's Law can be used for reactions that involve different states of matter. The enthalpy changes of the intermediate reactions may need to be adjusted to account for any phase changes, but the overall principle of Hess's Law still applies.