Using gradient values of a graph to determine angular acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent experiment to determine the moment of inertia of a disc using various tools. The resulting data was used to create a graph, for which the gradient represents the rate of change of voltage over time. The equation ω=1.4V is used to convert this gradient to angular acceleration, with ω representing angular velocity and V representing voltage. The conversation also touches on differentiating this equation with respect to time and the importance of using correct units.
vodkasoup

Homework Statement

I recently conducted an experiment to determine the moment of inertia of a disc using a tachometer attached to a disc marked with reflected strips, a weight, and an oscilloscope. The resulting oscilloscope data was plugged into fitplot to generate a graph of voltage (Y-axis) against time (X-axis). I am asked to convert the gradient of the graph to angular acceleration by using the equation ω=1.4V, where ω is the angular velocity and V is voltage.

Homework Equations

ω=1.4V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this. I know that the gradient of the graph is the change in voltage over the change in time, dV/dT , but I don't know how to proceed from here.

Many thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is angular acceleration defined in terms of angular velocity ω?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, right? But I'm still not sure how that relates to the gradient of my graph of changing voltage over time.

vodkasoup said:
Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, right? But I'm still not sure how that relates to the gradient of my graph of changing voltage over time.

Take your equation for ω and differentiate it with respect to time.

You do know that rate of change of angular velocity means "rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time," correct?

Chet

Thanks Chet. How do I derive voltage with respect to time? If ω=1.4V and I derive with respect to time, I just end up with 0. Though obviously I'm not doing it correctly.

Also, what is the value of 'V' that I am supposed to use? The gradient of my graph?

vodkasoup said:
Thanks Chet. How do I derive voltage with respect to time? If ω=1.4V and I derive with respect to time, I just end up with 0. Though obviously I'm not doing it correctly.

Also, what is the value of 'V' that I am supposed to use? The gradient of my graph?

[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dT}=1.4\frac{dV}{dT}[/tex]

The gradient on your graph is dV/dT. So the rate of change of ω with respect to time is 1.4 times the gradient on your graph. Make sure everything is in the correct units.

Related to Using gradient values of a graph to determine angular acceleration

1. How do you calculate angular acceleration using the gradient values of a graph?

To calculate angular acceleration using the gradient values of a graph, you need to first determine the change in angular velocity and the change in time between two points on the graph. Then, divide the change in angular velocity by the change in time to get the angular acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between gradient values and angular acceleration?

The gradient values of a graph represent the slope or rate of change at a specific point. In the context of angular acceleration, the steeper the gradient, the higher the angular acceleration.

3. Can you determine the angular acceleration at any point on the graph?

Yes, the angular acceleration can be determined at any point on the graph by finding the gradient value at that point. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the calculated angular acceleration may vary depending on the smoothness and accuracy of the data points on the graph.

4. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity of an object increases or decreases, the angular acceleration also changes accordingly.

5. What is the unit of measurement for angular acceleration?

The unit of measurement for angular acceleration is radians per second squared (rad/s²). This unit represents the change in angular velocity per unit time, just like how meters per second squared (m/s²) represents the change in linear velocity per unit time.