Using given Fourier transform to find the equation for the wave packet.

In summary, the wavepacket at x=0 associated with the flat distribution given by A(k) is found by solving the equation
Jennifer_ea

Homework Statement

Any wavepacket can be obtained by the superposition of an infinite number of plane waves using the so-called Fourier integral or Fourier transform
[itex]f(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} _{-\infty}\int^\infty A(k)e^{i(kx-\omega t)} dk[/itex]

Find at t=0 the representation of the wavepacket f(x) associated with the flat distribution given by:

A(k) =
0 for k<-K and k>K
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2K}}[/itex] for -K < k < K

Homework Equations

The textbook I found that isn't leaving me entirely confused has replaced k with p (momentum), but that doesn't seem to be overly relevant to my lack of understanding. The one I've found that seem to be in the ball park is:
[itex]\left|A(p,t)^2\right| = \left|A(p)e^{\frac{ip^{2}t}{2mh-bar}}\right|^2 = \left| A(p,0) \right|^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out that A(k) is the Fourier transform, but after that I run into a brick wall. I can't even seem to get far enough to be able to make useful searches. I'm getting the impression that I need to do some more manipulation so that I can use the above equation, but right now it'd just be blind hammering without understanding why.

I feel like there may have a linking concept I'm not getting, even just a nudge in the right direction would be extremely helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've been given [itex]A(k)[/itex], and a formula that describes [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] in terms of it. So finding [itex]f(x,0)[/itex] should just be a matter of plugging things in.

Since [itex]t=0[/itex], you can drop the [itex]\omega t[/itex] term from the integral. So right off the bat, we have:
[tex]f(x, 0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A(k)e^{ikx} dk[/tex]

Now, see if you can determine how the integral is affected by substituting in the definition of [itex]A(k)[/itex].

Wow, I was so focused on trying to figure out what the transform did that I completely overlooked the basics. Did not cross my mind once about the omega disappearing.

Thanks a bunch! You're right, it's just simple substitution now. Lesson learned!

Related to Using given Fourier transform to find the equation for the wave packet.

1. What is the Fourier transform method used for?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

2. How is the Fourier transform related to wave packets?

The Fourier transform can be used to find the equation for a wave packet, which is a localized disturbance in a continuous wave. By decomposing the wave packet into its constituent frequencies, the Fourier transform can provide valuable information about the properties of the wave packet.

3. What information is needed to use the Fourier transform to find the equation for a wave packet?

To use the Fourier transform method, you need to know the initial shape and position of the wave packet, as well as the wave's speed and direction of propagation. This information can then be used to construct the wave packet's equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform to find the equation for a wave packet?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. The Fourier transform assumes that the wave packet is composed of a finite number of frequencies and that the wave packet is stationary. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not work well for complex or non-periodic wave packets.

5. Can the Fourier transform be used for any type of wave packet?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be used for a wide range of wave packets, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and quantum mechanical wave functions. However, the specific application and limitations of the Fourier transform may vary depending on the type of wave packet being analyzed.