Using gamma function to solve an integral

In summary, the person is asking for clarification on how to solve a particular integral involving the gamma function. They understand the steps leading up to the final step, but are unsure of the manipulation of the (2/theta) term in the exponent of e. They are seeking help to understand this step.
mathjam0990
Hello,

I have attached a picture of the integral I am solving. I understand at the end how they turned the function (in the second to last step) into gamma(2) BUT what I do not understand is how you can simply just remove the (2/theta) out of the exponent of e, turn it into gamma(2) then divide it by (2/theta)^2 in that last step. Based on the fact that gamma(a) = integral of [ya-1 * e-y]dy I see for this particular example in question that the (2/theta) is out of place (so to say) if we are trying to get our integral to take the form of the integral equaling gamma(a). So, with all that being said, how can we simply just take that (2/theta) out of the exponent of e, turn the whole thing into a gamma and then just divide by (2/theta)^2 ?? Is there a trick or something I am overlooking? Please help me if you can!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
Let us solve

$$\int^\infty_0 e^{-\frac{2x}{\theta}}x \,dx $$

Let $t = \frac{2x}{\theta}$ which implies that $dx = \frac{\theta}{2}dt$

$$\int^\infty_0 e^{-t}\times \frac{\theta}{2}t \times \frac{\theta}{2} \,dt = \frac{\theta^2}{4}\int^\infty_0t e^{-t}\,dt$$

Then use the definition of the gamma function

Thank you ZaidAlyafey!

Related to Using gamma function to solve an integral

1. What is the gamma function and how is it used to solve integrals?

The gamma function, denoted as Γ(x), is an extension of the factorial function to real and complex numbers. It is defined as the integral of xs-1e-xdx from 0 to ∞. In solving integrals, the gamma function is used as a substitution for factorials, allowing for the evaluation of integrals involving powers and exponential functions.

2. What is the relationship between the gamma function and the beta function?

The beta function, denoted as B(x,y), is defined as Γ(x)Γ(y)/Γ(x+y). This means that the gamma function can be expressed in terms of the beta function as Γ(x) = B(x,1). Additionally, the beta function is used in evaluating integrals that involve the gamma function.

3. Can the gamma function be used to solve all types of integrals?

No, the gamma function is most commonly used to solve integrals that involve powers and exponential functions. It is not applicable for all types of integrals, such as trigonometric and logarithmic functions.

4. How do you use the gamma function to solve definite integrals?

To solve a definite integral using the gamma function, you first need to express the integral in terms of the gamma function. Then, you can use properties of the gamma function, such as the multiplication and addition formulas, to simplify the expression. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using the values of the arguments of the gamma function.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the gamma function to solve integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations when using the gamma function to solve integrals. Firstly, the integrand must be continuous and defined for all values of x. Additionally, the limits of integration must also be finite. If these conditions are not met, the gamma function may not be applicable for solving the integral. It is important to carefully examine the integral and its properties before using the gamma function as a solution method.