Using Fourier Properties or standard Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different answers obtained when using Fourier Transform properties and the FT integral to find the Fourier Transform of a signal. After some algebraic manipulation and using a trigonometric identity, it is shown that the two solutions are in fact equivalent. The correct definition of "sinc" is also confirmed.
frenzal_dude
Hi, sometimes when I'm trying to work out the Fourier Transform of a signal, I get different answers depending on whether I use Fourier Transform properites (such as rect(t) will go to sinc(f) etc) or whether I use the FT integral. Here's an example where I'm not sure which 1 is the correct answer:

The signal is: [tex]g(t)=-Arect(\frac{t+T}{T})+Arect(\frac{t}{T})-Arect(\frac{t-T}{T})[/tex]

Using FT properties:
[tex]
G(f)=-ATsinc(Tf)e^{j2\pi fT}+ATsinc(fT)-ATsinc(Tf)e^{-j2\pi fT}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=-2ATsinc(Tf)cos(2\pi fT)+ATsinc(Tf)[/tex]

Using the FT Integral:
[tex]G(f)=-A\int_{\frac{-3T}{2}}^{\frac{-T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt+A\int_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt-A\int_{\frac{T}{2}}^{\frac{3T}{2}}e^{-j2\pi ft}dt[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=-A[\frac{e^{j\pi fT}-e^{j\pi f3T}}{-j2\pi f}]+\frac{A}{\pi f}[\frac{e^{j\pi fT}-e^{-j\pi fT}}{2j}]-A[\frac{e^{-j\pi f3T}-e^{-j\pi fT}}{-j2\pi f}][/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]G(f)=2TAsinc(fT) -3TAsinc(3fT)[/tex]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that both answers are equivalent. After a bit of fiddling around with the usual trig identities I was able to show that :

[tex] \sin(x) - \sin(3x) = -2 \cos(2x) \sin(x)[/tex]

If you use that in your final equation then it reduces to the earlier one that you got "Using FT properties"

Hey uart thanks for the reply.
I've tried subbing in different values for A, T and f but I get different answers from the 2 equations, so they're not the same unfortunately.

frenzal_dude said:
Hey uart thanks for the reply.
I've tried subbing in different values for A, T and f but I get different answers from the 2 equations, so they're not the same unfortunately.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I can show (algebraically) that they're identical. No time right now but I'll have a look at numerical values later.

BTW Are you sure you're using the correct "sinc" definition : sinc(x) = sin(pi x)/(pi x) is the correct one to use in this case.

OK I'm calling "calculator error" on you frenzal_dude. :) Double check that you're using radians and also double check you have the correct sinc definition.

I just checked and I get them both algebraically and numerically identical!

Last edited:
Here's the algebraic solution.

Starting with your last resut (I took out the common factor of "fT" as it's obviously the same in both solutions) :

[tex]G(f)=2sinc(fT) -3sinc(3fT) = sinc(fT) + sinc(fT) - 3 sinc(3fT)[/tex]

[tex] = sinc(fT) + \frac{1}{\pi f T} \left( \sin(\pi f T) - \sin(3 \pi f T) \right)[/tex]

Now sub in the trig identity I posted previosly and you get :

[tex]G(f)=sinc(fT) -2 sinc(fT) \cos(2 \pi f T)[/tex]

Which is identical to your "using FT properties" result.

uart, thankyou so much for your help!
I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track now.

Related to Using Fourier Properties or standard Integral?

What is a Fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that breaks down a complex signal or function into its constituent parts of different frequencies. It is used in signal processing to analyze, manipulate, and filter signals in a variety of fields such as telecommunications, audio and image processing, and physics.

What are the properties of a Fourier transform?

The properties of a Fourier transform include linearity, time and frequency shifting, scaling, and convolution. These properties allow for efficient and accurate analysis and manipulation of signals in various domains.

What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a standard integral?

A Fourier transform is a type of integral, specifically an integral over a continuous range of frequencies. It differs from a standard integral in that it is used to decompose a signal into its frequency components, rather than finding the area under a curve.

How is a Fourier transform used to analyze periodic signals?

A Fourier transform is used to analyze periodic signals by breaking them down into their constituent sine and cosine components, which can then be represented as a complex exponential function. This allows for the identification of the frequencies and amplitudes of the signal's periodic components.

What are some applications of Fourier transforms in science and engineering?

Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including digital signal processing, image and audio compression, spectroscopy, quantum mechanics, and vibration analysis. They are also used in various fields of research, such as astronomy, neuroscience, and biophysics.