Solving a Bowling Ball Force Problem: Finding Weight and Acceleration

In summary: Originally posted by Claude Bile In summary, I am having difficulty solving this problem. I even asked my teacher for help but her equation did not work and I am confused even more. Can someone please help me?
nerak
I am having difficulty solving this problem. I even asked my teacher for help but her equation did not work and I am confused even more. Can someone please help me?

Q. When you lift a bowling ball with a force of 82 N, the ball accelerates upward with an acceleration a. If you lift with a force of 99 N, the ball's acceleration is 2*a.
a) Find the weight of the bowling ball.
b) Find the acceleration a.

This is how I tried it but i don't know if this is correct:

82N-w=m*a

99-W=2ma

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look correct, however they appear to overcomplicate the problem. The question basically states that 17 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a.

Thus if 82 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a, (82-17)N must provide no acceleration - this is the weight of the ball.

Now you know both m*a and m*g, two equations with two variables that are relatively easy to solve.

Claude.

Originally posted by Claude Bile
Your equations look correct, however they appear to overcomplicate the problem. The question basically states that 17 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a.

I find that to be a rather peculiar comment. Nerak, your equations are correct, AND they are the simplest description of the problem. Claude, the question does NOT "basically state that 17 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a". You got that be intuitively making exactly the subtraction suggested by Nerak's equations. Do not dissuade people from translating a probelm into equations. Intuition won't get you far in physics.

Originally posted by krab
I find that to be a rather peculiar comment. Nerak, your equations are correct, AND they are the simplest description of the problem. Claude, the question does NOT "basically state that 17 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a". You got that be intuitively making exactly the subtraction suggested by Nerak's equations. Do not dissuade people from translating a probelm into equations. Intuition won't get you far in physics.

True, the question did not explicitly state that 17 N provides an upward acceleration of m*a, rather it is a logical derivation from the information provided in the question, there was no intuition involved.

I did not intentionally attempt to dissuade Nerek from using his (correct) equations, I merely offered a worded interpretation of how to arrive at the answer (as Nerek was unsure of whether he was correct) that I thought may be helpful.

Claude.

1. What is the Bowling Ball Force Problem?

The Bowling Ball Force Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force exerted on a bowling ball as it rolls down a lane.

2. How do you calculate the force on a bowling ball?

The force on a bowling ball can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the bowling ball in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the force on a bowling ball?

The force on a bowling ball can be affected by factors such as the mass and speed of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and the friction between the ball and the lane surface.

4. How does the force on a bowling ball affect its motion?

The force on a bowling ball affects its motion by causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force. This acceleration can cause the ball to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

5. How can the force on a bowling ball be increased?

The force on a bowling ball can be increased by increasing its mass, throwing it with a greater velocity, or increasing the angle at which it is thrown. Additionally, using a lane surface with less friction can also increase the force on the ball.