Explaining the law of conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses learning about waves, frequency, vibration, and beats. The individual has a worksheet with questions, and asks for help with some of the questions. The questions involve topics such as why marchers at the end of a long parade may be out of step with those closer to the band, two physics mistakes in a science fiction movie involving sound in space, how holding the handle of a tuning fork against a table affects the sound and vibration, and whether a piano tuner should loosen or tighten a string based on the beat frequency heard. The person also mentions a policy on the forum for not doing homework for others but instead assisting with understanding.
miyuki9
I'm learning about waves, frequency, vibration, beats,... Then I have to answers a bunch of question from the worksheet...Can someone please help me to answer the question below... Thanks
1)Why will marchers at the end of a long parade following a band be out of step with marchers nearer the band?
2)What 2 physics mistakes occur in a science fiction movie when you see and hear at the same time a distant explosion in outer space?
3)If the handle of a tuning fork is held solidly against a table, the sound becomes louder.
Why? How will this affect the length of the time the fork keeps vibrating? Explain using the LAW OF ENGERGY CONSERVATION.
4)Suppose a piano tuner hears 2 beats per second when listening to the combined sound from her tuning fork and the piano note being tuned. After slightly tightening the string, she hears 1 beat per second. Should she loosen or shoud she further tighten the string?
I think the answer for this one is that she should loosen the string... but I'm not exactly sure and don't know why..." Plz explain to me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
miyuki9,

We have a policy regarding helping people with their homework at PF:

We're happy to help, but we will not do it for you.

You will get much more feedback if you show us how you start the problems and where you get stuck. We will then help you through the rough spots. You will also probably have better luck by posting in the Homework Help forum. Most people come to the Physics forum to talk about physics that interests them.

Regards,

1)Huh? Um...im not sure what this is asking...

2)Sound needs a medium to travel through...space is almost a vaccumm...

Compare the speeds of light and sound..

For number 4, think about the fact that the beat frequency which she hears is the difference between the two notes played.(i.e. if the two notes were 500 and 502 hZ then the heard beat frequency would be 2 hZ) Tightening the strings would raise the frequency, and loosening would lower it

What is the law of conservation?

The law of conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Why is the law of conservation important?

The law of conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in various systems, from tiny particles to the entire universe. It also helps us to design and improve technologies that rely on energy, such as power plants and engines.

What are the different types of conservation laws?

There are several types of conservation laws, including conservation of energy, conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of angular momentum. These laws all follow the same principle of the law of conservation, but apply to different physical quantities.

What are some examples of the law of conservation in action?

Some examples of the law of conservation in action include the conservation of energy in a pendulum's swing, the conservation of mass when a solid turns into a liquid, and the conservation of momentum when a billiard ball collides with another ball on a pool table.

Can the law of conservation be violated?

The law of conservation is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all known cases. While there may be situations where it may seem like the law is being violated, it is more likely that there are other factors at play that we may not fully understand yet. Therefore, the law of conservation is considered to be a universal law and cannot be violated.