Using DPDT Switch for Negative Inputs and Rectifiers

In summary, the individual is inquiring about DPDT switches that can handle negative input and be used with a difference amplifier to create a rectifier. They are considering using a DC offset to only get positive inputs and wondering if they need to subtract the offset. The conversation also discusses different types of switches and their capabilities, such as mechanical DPDT switches and CMOS mux chips. The individual also asks about the importance of on resistance for the gate of the switch. Lower on resistance means less power dissipation and voltage drop, as well as a lower time constant for the circuit.
edmondng
Are there any DPDT switch that can take negative input?
i want to put a sinusoidal as input and use the output to go through a difference amplifier to create a rectifier.

does it work the same if i put a DC offset so i only get positive sinusoidal input to DPDT, and then use the output to go through a difference amplifier? (maybe i need to subtract DC offset to get the equivalent as without no offset?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
A mechanical DPDT will obviously pass anything upto the breakdown voltage.
Otherwise most CMOS mux chips will switch pretty close to the rail voltage, although a lot of high speed ones are made for switching video so only handle 0-1V levels.

getting 2 of these max4564 ior dg469 should work i suppose. its a dual supply spdt
thoughts?

The DG one claims to switch +/- 15V with the dual rail supplies.
I used a similair single rail DG unit for a double correlated sampling setup once.

actually this chip is probably not available, but doing a product search in vishay spdt dual supply yielded quite a number of chips. my signal is +-5v, i'll just supply it with +-12v

another quick question
when selecting, should i care about on resistance for the gate? what is the difference or function between say an on gate of 10ohm and one with 200ohm. lower resistance means less current supply i guess. so lower means better?

Lower on resistance means less power dissapated in the chip if you are sending a large current, it also means less voltage drop if the source of your signal isn't a stiff supply.
At high speeds it also means a lower time constant for the circuit.

Related to Using DPDT Switch for Negative Inputs and Rectifiers

1. What is a DPDT switch and how does it work?

A DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch is a type of electronic switch that has two sets of contacts and can control two circuits at the same time. It works by allowing current to flow through one circuit while interrupting the flow in the other circuit, and vice versa.

2. How can a DPDT switch be used for negative inputs and rectifiers?

A DPDT switch can be used to control the flow of negative inputs in a circuit by connecting the negative input to one set of contacts and the ground or a negative power supply to the other set of contacts. This allows you to easily switch between using the negative input or grounding it out. Additionally, the switch can also be used to control the direction of current flow in a rectifier circuit, which is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC).

3. What are the advantages of using a DPDT switch for negative inputs and rectifiers?

The main advantage of using a DPDT switch for negative inputs and rectifiers is that it allows for quick and easy control of these components in a circuit. The switch provides a simple and convenient way to switch between different inputs or directions of current flow without having to physically disconnect and reconnect components. This can save time and effort in testing and troubleshooting circuits.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a DPDT switch for negative inputs and rectifiers?

One potential drawback of using a DPDT switch for negative inputs and rectifiers is that it adds an extra component to the circuit, which may increase the overall complexity and cost of the circuit. Additionally, if the switch is not properly connected or wired, it can lead to errors or malfunctions in the circuit. It is important to carefully design and test the circuit to ensure proper functionality.

5. Can a DPDT switch be used in other types of circuits besides those involving negative inputs and rectifiers?

Yes, DPDT switches can be used in a variety of electronic circuits for different purposes, such as controlling the direction of current flow, switching between different power sources, and selecting different components in a circuit. They are commonly used in audio circuits, motor control circuits, and power supply circuits, among others.