Using Dirac Delta Function to Determine Point Mass Density

In summary, the Dirac Delta function can be used to approximate light pulses in the context of Fourier analysis. It can also be used to determine the density of a point mass, where the density is zero everywhere except at the location of the point mass. The constant of proportionality is the mass of the point particle. Additionally, the Dirac Delta function can be used to measure instantaneous or infinitesimal things like sharp impulses and point masses in physics problems.
vasel
I'm curious about the use of the Dirac Delta function. I am familiar with the function itself, but have never really seen in used in actual problems. The only problems I've worked with the function are those specifically about the function (ie. Evaluate the Dirac Delta function at x=3).

My question is, how do I recognize the situation in which I can use the Dirac Delta function and how do I go about using it?

Is it possible to use it to determine the density of a "point mass"? How would this be done?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In some contexts, the Dirac Delta function and the Dirac Comb can be used to approximate light pulses. Perhaps most often where Fourrier analysis is applicable.

vasel said:
I'm curious about the use of the Dirac Delta function. I am familiar with the function itself, but have never really seen in used in actual problems. The only problems I've worked with the function are those specifically about the function (ie. Evaluate the Dirac Delta function at x=3).

My question is, how do I recognize the situation in which I can use the Dirac Delta function and how do I go about using it?

Is it possible to use it to determine the density of a "point mass"? How would this be done?

Thanks!

The density of a point mass is an excellent example of the applicability of the Dirac Delta distribution. Let's take a look and see why:

(1) Let's assume there is a point mass [itex]m[/itex] located at [itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex], what is the total mass enclosed by any volume containing the point [itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex]? What is the total mss enclosed by any volume not containing the point [itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex]?

(2) Now, take a look at the definition of localized volume mass density; [tex]\rho(\textbf{r})=\frac{dm(\textbf{r})}{d^3 r}[/itex]... in words, localized volume mass density at any given point in space is the mass enclosed by an infinitesimally small volume centered at that point, divided by the volume. This definition should be fairly familiar to you.

(3) Let's see how this definition applies to a point mass... clearly, the mass density will be zero everywhere except at [itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex]. There will be a finite amount of mass at that point ([itex]dm[/itex] is finite), but the volume of a point is zero and division by zero leads an indefinite result.

So, the density of a point mass is zero everywhere except at its location, where it is infinite (indefinite). Yet, if you integrate the density (add up all the little bits of mass) over any region enclosing [itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex], you must get the mass of the particle, [itex]m[/itex]...a finite result! If you integrate the density over any region not enclosing
[itex]\textbf{r}=\textbf{a}[/itex], you will get zero (since there is no mass in that region). Compare these properties to the properties that define the Dirac Delta function, and you should deduce that the density of a point mass is proportional to the 3D- Dirac Delta function. Moreover, the constant of proportionality must be the mass of the point particle: [itex]\rho(\textbf{r})=m\delta^3
(\textbf{r}-\textbf{a})[/itex].

Last edited:
Gab, that was a very clear and enlightening example. This concept makes a lot more sense to me now that I can see how it can actually be worked into a problem.

Thanks so much for your help!

- vasel

Suppose a mass M is at rest at the origin. At time t = 0, I hit it sharply with a hammer, delivering an impulse P. What is the position of the of the mass as a function of time? One way to solve this is to write the force acting on the mass as

[tex]F(t) = P \delta(t) = Ma[/tex]

Integrating,

[tex]P \int \delta(t) dt = Mv[/tex]

[tex]P \theta(t) = Mv[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function" .

[tex]x = \frac{P}{M}t[/tex] for [tex]t > 0[/tex], and [tex]x = 0[/tex] for [tex]t <= 0[/tex].

You don't need delta functions to do this, but this shows how delta functions are able to measure "instantaneous" or "infinitesimal" things like sharp impulses and point masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Using Dirac Delta Function to Determine Point Mass Density

1. What is the Dirac Delta function and how is it used to determine point mass density?

The Dirac Delta function is a mathematical tool used to represent a point mass or a point charge in physics and engineering. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. This function is used to determine the point mass density by integrating it over a small volume around the point mass. The value of this integral gives the total mass or charge at that point.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function related to the concept of a point mass?

The Dirac Delta function is directly related to the concept of a point mass. It is a mathematical representation of a point mass, which is a mass that is concentrated at a single point and has no physical size or volume. The function has a value of infinity at the point where the mass is located and is zero everywhere else, reflecting the properties of a point mass.

3. Can the Dirac Delta function be used to determine the density of an object with a finite size?

No, the Dirac Delta function is only applicable for determining the point mass density of an object with zero physical size. It cannot be used to determine the density of an object with a finite size because the function is zero everywhere except at the point where the mass is located. To determine the density of an object with a finite size, other mathematical tools such as the volume integral or averaging methods must be used.

4. What are the applications of using the Dirac Delta function to determine point mass density?

The Dirac Delta function is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point masses and point charges. It is used in various fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. In practical applications, it can be used to calculate the gravitational force between point masses, the electric field around a point charge, or the flow of a fluid around a point object.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the Dirac Delta function to determine point mass density?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using the Dirac Delta function. One major limitation is that it can only be used to determine the density of point masses or point charges, and not for objects with a finite size. Additionally, the function assumes that the point mass is perfectly concentrated at a single point, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Therefore, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other mathematical tools to accurately determine the point mass density.