Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Using Desmos to include graphs at MHB

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

My apologies for forcing you to read this thread but it's very important for us to get feedback from you. This project will hopefully improve including graphs on our forum.

We're working with Desmos (www.desmos.com) and their free online graphing tool to make graphing easier here. I've made a video that you can see below on our first step to make this process easier. I recommend watching in 720p and full screen to see all the details.

[video=youtube;l_o5dk8rirY]Using Desmos to post graphs at MHB[/video]

If you didn't watch the video, the basics of what we've enabled thus far can be used by:

1) Make an account at Desmos so you can save graphs. Log in.
2) Graph whatever equations you want and click "Save". Choose save option #3, Permalink.
3) Copy the graph ID tag, which begins after .../calculator/ in the URL you see.
4) On MHB place the ID you just copied between the [graph][/graph] tags and you're done! The graph you saved should now should here on MHB.

We're looking to get feedback on how to make this process better at any point of use. We'll pass along this feedback to Desmos and work with them to come out with an improved process as soon as we can so hearing from you is vital.

Thank you for your time!

MHB Staff

Last edited:

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi Jameson, (Wave)

Here are my suggestions,

1) It would be convenient if one can paste the whole permalink rather than part of it.

2) Can't users be given the capability of logging to Desmos through the profile here? In that case, I am sure everybody will be using Demos 'cause they don't have to create separate Google or Desmos accounts.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Hi everyone,

My apologies for forcing you to read this thread but it's very important for us to get feedback from you. This project will hopefully improve including graphs on our forum.

We're working with Desmos (www.desmos.com) and their free online graphing tool to make graphing easier here. I've made a video that you can see below on our first step to make this process easier. I recommend watching in 720p and full screen to see all the details.

[video=youtube;l_o5dk8rirY]Using Desmos to post graphs at MHB[/video]

If you didn't watch the video, the basics of what we've enabled thus far can be used by:

1) Make an account at Desmos so you can save graphs. Log in.
2) Graph whatever equations you want and click "Save". Choose save option #3, Permalink.
3) Copy the graph ID tag, which begins after .../calculator/ in the URL you see.
4) On MHB place the ID you just copied between the [graph][/graph] tags and you're done! The graph you saved should now should here on MHB.

We're looking to get feedback on how to make this process better at any point of use. We'll pass along this feedback to Desmos and work with them to come out with an improved process as soon as we can so hearing from you is vital.

Thank you for your time!

MHB Staff
I'm impressed, hopefully it'll make it easier than linking to wolfram alpha.

[graph]cv0oxucpmx[/graph]
I found that linear equations need to have a coefficient of x. I tried putting in the line y=x but it wouldn't go in until I went with y=1x

You can also use the settings button in the top right if you want to change the x axis to trig and to change the domain/range
[graph]yynin76akv[/graph]

Apologies if it's in the video, I didn't watch it because I refuse to install flash.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
No, those things aren't in the video so are good to know!

Apologies if it's in the video, I didn't watch it because I refuse to install flash.
On my Macbook Pro flash heats this thing up so hot I can barely use it but I use it so much I couldn't do without. Can't imagine not using flash at all. So all of YouTube is off limits?

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
No, those things aren't in the video so are good to know!

On my Macbook Pro flash heats this thing up so hot I can barely use it but I use it so much I couldn't do without. Can't imagine not using flash at all. So all of YouTube is off limits?
Nah, YouTube is actually the easiest to access with the HTML5 trial on some videos together with being able to paste the URL into VLC and it plays that way. It's other sites which use flash that cause trouble since nobody is really working on other means to make their content available.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Nah, YouTube is actually the easiest to access with the HTML5 trial on some videos together with being able to paste the URL into VLC and it plays that way. It's other sites which use flash that cause trouble since nobody is really working on other means to make their content available.
Ah, I see. Well the video I posted is on YouTube so you could open it with HTML5 I believe, but it looks like you've already got down how to use Desmos on MHB so no need really. I should look into this since like I said flash and Apple do not work well together in my experience.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I'm impressed, hopefully it'll make it easier than linking to wolfram alpha.

I found that linear equations need to have a coefficient of x. I tried putting in the line y=x but it wouldn't go in until I went with y=1x
Hi SuperSonic4, :)

It seems that if we write only the independent variable part without the equal sign, the coefficients have to be written no matter what. But if we write \(y=x\) instead there is no need to write \(1\).

[graph]py0yc9kc9z[/graph]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Another suggestion is to open the Desmos graph in a separate browser window when clicked on it.

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
what about opening a subforum for graphing like latex help so you can test graphing there and get some help from others

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
test [graph]umpx7assan[/graph]

very nice

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
This is a wonderful resource. I'm going to enjoy playing around with it.

[graph]vdjfm3b4s9[/graph]

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Well it is not usable from the office machine as it does not support IE8. Has anyone tried from a mobile device?

CB

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the inclusion Jameson :)