Using Common properties of Solids in Life

In summary: I'm pretty sure you would need a lot more wax to build something than you would need salt. Metal is strong because it has a lot of electrons in its outer shell.
Soley101
Hey, I just finished a lab on classifying solids based on their physical properties. I was just curious about some of the solids that I investigated. Wax (a non-polar molecular solid) and salt (ionic solid) were pretty weak -either melted or dissolved compared to network solids like clay and sand. Why is this? So do people never use these types of things to build or do anything practical with because tehy break, why do they break :S it baffles me. I suppose I didn't fully understand that concept. And also, I don't understand how you can have soft metals and hard metals. Why can't you build things with any kind of metal,I meant once you use enough of it, Can''t it be strong enough. Or do we just use some metals because they are cheaper or you need to use less. HOW can metals be strong :) My teacher draws really confusing diagrams with electrons and bonding, does anyone know what he might mean by these pictures?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt you melted any salt...it has an extremely high melting point. *jabs herself with the finger of stupid knowiness)

The confusing pictures should demonstrate that how tough an item or element is, or it's properties, are based on it's molecular setup. Sorry to go back to the basics, but water has very loose molecules, almost no structure, but just enough to keep it together, gasses have little to no structure at all, and solids have a variety of molecules arranged in different ways.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/850/20227449.JPG

Salt structure-very firm and unbendylike

Wax is slick, a lipid if I'm not mistaken. It is easily broken due to it's characteristics, which are based on what molecules it's made of and how they are arranged.

We don't use these to build because...yea, they kinda break alot. Wax house? Uh-uh.

Common properties of solids are important in our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. For example, the physical properties of solids can affect how we use them in building materials, cooking, and even in medicine.

In regards to your question about wax and salt being weaker compared to network solids like clay and sand, this is due to the difference in their bonding. Wax and salt have weaker intermolecular forces, meaning the molecules are not as tightly held together. Network solids, on the other hand, have strong covalent bonds between their atoms, making them more resistant to melting or dissolving.

It's not that we never use weak solids like wax and salt, but rather we use them in different ways. For example, wax is used in candles and as a coating for fruits to make them shiny. Salt is used in cooking and as a preservative. These substances may not be suitable for building structures, but they have other practical uses.

As for your question about soft and hard metals, this also has to do with their bonding. Soft metals have weaker metallic bonds, allowing them to be malleable and easily shaped. Hard metals have stronger metallic bonds, making them more rigid and difficult to shape. Again, it's not that we can't use soft metals for building, but they may not be as strong or durable as hard metals. It's a matter of choosing the right material for the intended purpose.

Finally, your confusion about your teacher's diagrams with electrons and bonding is understandable. These diagrams are used to depict the arrangement of atoms and the sharing or transfer of electrons between them. This bonding plays a crucial role in the physical properties of solids. I would suggest asking your teacher for clarification or doing some additional research on the topic to better understand these concepts.

In summary, the common properties of solids, such as their bonding and intermolecular forces, affect how we use them in practical applications. It's important to understand these properties to choose the right material for a specific use. I hope this helps answer your questions and sparks your curiosity to learn more about the fascinating world of solids.

Related to Using Common properties of Solids in Life

1. What are some examples of common properties of solids?

Some examples of common properties of solids are hardness, density, melting point, and shape.

2. How are common properties of solids used in everyday life?

Common properties of solids are used in everyday life in various ways. For example, the hardness of solids is important in construction materials, density is used in determining the purity of substances, melting point is used in cooking and manufacturing processes, and shape is important in designing and creating objects.

3. What is the importance of understanding common properties of solids?

Understanding common properties of solids is important because it allows us to identify and differentiate between different types of solids, as well as predict how they will behave under different conditions. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and chemistry.

4. How do common properties of solids contribute to scientific research?

Common properties of solids are a fundamental part of scientific research, as they provide a basis for understanding and studying various materials. By studying the common properties of solids, scientists can make advancements in fields such as materials engineering, pharmaceuticals, and nanotechnology.

5. Can common properties of solids change?

Yes, common properties of solids can change under certain conditions. For example, the melting point of a solid can change if it is exposed to extreme temperatures, or the hardness of a solid can change if it undergoes a chemical reaction. However, these changes are still within the range of common properties for that type of solid.