Using calibration data for a beam scale -- How to apply?

In summary, the conversation is about using a calibration procedure to determine sensitivity, overall instrument error, linearity error, hysteresis error, and precision error for an instrument. The table and figure provided as a result of the calibration process can be used to calculate these errors, with sensitivity being measured in mV/gr and the other errors represented as a percentage of the Full Scale Output (FSO).
pinkcashmere

Homework Statement

I attached the full document, buy I just want to know about :

"Using calibration procedure determine:

a) Sensitivity (mV/gr)
b) Overall instrument error (gr)
c) Linearity error %FSO
d) Hysteresis error %FSO
e) Precision error %FSO"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I attached the table and figure created as a result of the calibration process, but I was wondering how do I use these to find the errors?

Attachments

• Cantilever Beam Lab.pdf
    912.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
I am aware that the sensitivity is mV/gr, but I'm not sure how to calculate it. For the overall instrument error, I'm not sure what to do. For linearity, hysteresis, and precision errors, I know that they are all represented as a percentage of the Full Scale Output (FSO), but I'm not sure how to calculate them.

Related to Using calibration data for a beam scale -- How to apply?

1. What is calibration data for a beam scale?

Calibration data for a beam scale refers to the set of measurements and adjustments made to ensure that the scale is accurately measuring weight. This data is used to calibrate the scale and ensure its accuracy over time.

2. Why is calibration important for a beam scale?

Calibration is important for a beam scale because it ensures that the scale is accurately measuring weight, which is crucial for obtaining reliable and precise measurements. Without calibration, the scale may display incorrect readings, leading to inaccurate results.

3. How often should a beam scale be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration for a beam scale depends on its usage and the industry standards. However, it is generally recommended to calibrate the scale at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in its environment or usage. Regular calibration helps maintain the accuracy of the scale and detect any potential issues.

4. How do I apply calibration data to a beam scale?

To apply calibration data to a beam scale, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer or refer to the scale's user manual. Generally, you will need to use the adjustment screws to set the scale to the correct measurement based on the calibration data. It is essential to follow the steps carefully to ensure the accuracy of the scale.

5. Can I use calibration data from a different scale for my beam scale?

No, you should not use calibration data from a different scale for your beam scale. Each scale is unique, and its calibration data is specific to that particular scale. Using calibration data from a different scale can result in inaccurate measurements. It is crucial to use the correct calibration data provided by the manufacturer or obtained through proper calibration procedures.