Using an electrical device bought in France, in Canada

In summary, if you buy a camera in France and want to use it in Canada, you will need to buy a voltage transformer to use the battery charger.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I bought a camera in France and I want to use it in Canada. The main problem is the battery. To reload it (I think it's a lithium one but I'm not sure. I can check out if you need this info) I must plug it into the AC current supply at home. In France it works at a different frequency I believe than in Canada and the voltage is 220 V compared to the 110 V in Canada.
What happens if I directly plug the battery reloader into a Canadian home electrical supply? The device is made to work with 220 V and the French frequency.

My guess is that it simply won't work and will not damage anything.

I might think to just take my memory card and borrow a camera in Canada if I can't reload the battery without buying a transformer (110 V to 220 V).

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the make and model of the camera? Most consumer electronics nowadays have DC supplies that take 100-250 V, and accept different cord ends to plug into the outlets in various countries.

Worse comes to worse, you can buy adapters at Futureshop or The Source (or the likes) that change the voltage.

fluidistic said:
To reload it (I think it's a lithium one but I'm not sure. I can check out if you need this info) I must plug it into the AC current supply at home. In France it works at a different frequency I believe than in Canada and the voltage is 220 V compared to the 110 V in Canada.

Check the back of the battery charger (which I think is what you mean by "reloading" it...recharging?). If it says 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz it's a dual-voltage charger and can be used safely. If it doesn't, you'll need some sort of voltage transformer which can be bought at pretty much any electronics store for a reasonable price.

MATLABdude said:
What's the make and model of the camera? Most consumer electronics nowadays have DC supplies that take 100-250 V, and accept different cord ends to plug into the outlets in various countries.

Most cameras don't have dedicated DC power sources and just come with USB cables and a battery charger wall wart.

Thanks to both. I just checked out the battery charger and it says "INPUT 100 V-240 V AC 50/60 Hz
0.1 A (100V) 0.06 A (240 V)
OUTPUT: 4.2 V----0.65 A."

So it seems I won't have any problem? Seems like it needs AC.

Out of curiosity, what would have happened if it could only work at 240 V and I plug it in a 120 V supply?

Related to Using an electrical device bought in France, in Canada

1. Can I use an electrical device bought in France in Canada?

Yes, you can use an electrical device bought in France in Canada. Both countries use the same voltage and frequency, which is 120V and 60Hz. However, you may need an adapter for the plug as they may differ in shape and size.

2. Do I need a converter to use my French electrical device in Canada?

No, you do not need a converter. As mentioned earlier, both countries use the same voltage and frequency. However, you may need an adapter for the plug as they may differ in shape and size.

3. Will using a French electrical device in Canada affect its performance?

No, using a French electrical device in Canada should not affect its performance. As long as the voltage and frequency are the same, the device should function as intended.

4. Can I use a Canadian electrical device in France?

Yes, you can use a Canadian electrical device in France. However, you may need a voltage converter as France uses 230V and 50Hz, which differs from Canada's 120V and 60Hz. It is important to check the device's voltage requirements before using it in a different country.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a French electrical device in Canada?

No, there are no safety concerns as long as the device is compatible with Canada's voltage and frequency. It is important to use an adapter for the plug to ensure a secure connection and to avoid any potential hazards.