Using ampere's law for a circular loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ampere's Law for calculating the magnetic field due to a circular loop. It is mentioned that the law may not work effectively for this scenario and that a modification may be needed. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to use the law and the importance of considering the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the line integral. It is clarified that while the dot product of the two may be zero, this does not mean that the magnetic field itself is zero.
Essence

Homework Statement

Sorry to bother you guys,

I've heard that Ampere's Law is either ineffective for calculating the B field due to a circular loop or needs some modification (I wasn't sure which).

I'm trying to figure out why this doesn't work so I can get a better understanding of Ampere's Law. I have attached a picture of two loops (probably trivial). The inner loop is the one with a current the outer loop is the surface I chose for Ampere's Law.

I know you guys have to deal without a lot of dang so I hope I haven't imposed too much.

Thanks,

Homework Equations

(integral) Bdl = u * I

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To be more concrete about this whole thing imagine I had a looped wire with current I. I will now use Ampere's Law. First I will choose a surface which is another circular loop that contains the first loop. Now I will use:
(integral) B dl = u * I. Since each piece of current in the loop has another piece of current going in the opposite direction (it's a circle after all). I should get an I enclosed of 0. This would suggest the B field is zero (which I could justify using the Biot-Savart law isn't true). For space I will not do that here; that's a number plugging game.

Attachments

• Two loops.png
    Two loops.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
Not so much a number game as a vector game.
It is not so that ##\oint \vec B\cdot \vec{dl} = 0\quad \Rightarrow \quad |\vec B| = 0 ##.

BvU said:
Not so much a number game as a vector game.
It is not so that ##\oint \vec B\cdot \vec{dl} = 0\quad \Rightarrow \quad |\vec B| = 0 ##.
I think I get it. Since the B fields may be opposite at some points if I integrate the B fields over the surface I will get zero. But if I'm to find a specific B field at a location since B is not a constant function (it flips signs) I can't just divide by 2* pi * r and get 0. This is because the result of taking the integral is not B * 2pi * r (again because B is changing and so can't be treated like a constant).

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong picture of the situation

Re pictures: Perhaps google "magnetic field of current loop" and look at some of the pictures.

Re Ampere's law: the integral is not a surface integral but a line integral: ##\vec {dl}## is a little section of the wire, so to say.
(But, considering you do write "the result of taking the integral is not ##B\ 2\pi r##", it appears you have the right intention but just use the term "integrate the B fields over the surface" a little sloppy ? -- "B field over the loop" would be better)

Combining the two: From the pictures and the circular symmetry you can see that at the location of the outer loop wire ##\vec B## is in fact a constant, and the direction is perpendicular to the plane of the two wire loops. No flipping sign, no "opposite at some points".

Since ##\vec {dl}## is in that plane, the inner product ## \vec B\cdot \vec{dl} = 0 ## and that is what makes the ##\oint\ ## come out as zero.

--

Last edited:
Ok.
(Just confirming)
$$\vec{B}\cdot\vec{dl}$$ will equal zero (because we're taking a dot product of perpendicular vectors) but this does not mean B equals zero. Ideally we want to choose a loop where B is in the same direction as dl such that we can just divide by the distance over which the line integral is taking place to get B.

Sorry about earlier; that was very very sloppy. I did mean line integral rather than surface integral, and I had temporarily assumed that the B field switched from into the page to out of the page depending on what side of the loop you were on. I didn't actually check this with greater care because I assumed that that was the only thing that could cause issues, but I hadn't considered the dot product.

Thanks,

Last edited:
(can't delete posts)

Last edited:
I think you are doing just fine. Ok you are !

Related to Using ampere's law for a circular loop

1. How do you use Ampere's law for a circular loop?

To use Ampere's law for a circular loop, you first need to determine the current flowing through the loop and the radius of the loop. Then, you can calculate the magnetic field at any point along the loop using the formula B = μ₀I/2πr, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the loop.

2. What is the significance of using Ampere's law for a circular loop?

Ampere's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. Using it for a circular loop allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point along the loop and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in this specific geometry.

3. Can Ampere's law be applied to non-circular loops?

Yes, Ampere's law can be applied to any closed loop, regardless of its shape. However, the calculation may be more complex for non-circular loops and may require the use of vector calculus.

4. How is Ampere's law related to Gauss's law?

Ampere's law and Gauss's law are both fundamental principles in electromagnetism. Ampere's law relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop, while Gauss's law relates the electric field to the electric charge enclosed by a closed surface. Both laws are based on the concept of flux and are used to calculate the fields in various situations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's law for a circular loop?

Ampere's law for a circular loop has many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, magnetic sensors, and generators. It is also used in industries like transportation, healthcare, and energy production. Additionally, understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in circular loops is important in fields such as astronomy and plasma physics.