Using a wireless phone 160ft underground?

• Thread starter newmark789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, a cell phone setup using DECT 6 would not work due to the cable's limited length and lack of amplification. A wireless system using SIP might work, but I'm not sure.
newmark789
Hello all, I'm not all that savvy with radio antennas, or physics in general, so I've come to kindly ask for your expertise in solving a problem that I'm working on.

Basically, I'm looking for a relatively simple way to get a wireless portable phone to work in an underground cavern of a small non operational mine. The decline ramp into the mine is roughly 2000ft long with a line of cat5e magnetically shielded network cable along the run. At the surface is the wireless base station. I'm wanting to use the network cable with antennas on each end to carry the signal. Is this possible to essentially have the underground portable phone wirelessly transmit to the underground end of the cable then travel 2000ft (vertical distance from surface is 160ft) to an antenna that is situated right next to the base station where it is relayed to it? Any one able to speculate on what kind of components I'd need? Do I need to amplify the signal in such a case? It may also be possible to wire the phone into the cord

The phone system uses the Dect 6 standard if that is of any assistance.

Thank you again if anyone is able to share their knowledge.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't say which country you're writing from so I will assume the United States. Cat5e cable is limited to 100 MHz and even then not for lengths of 2000 ft. In the U.S. cordless phones using DECT 6 operate at 1.9 GHz. Cat5e cable at 1.9 GHz would have so much loss the signal wouldn't go very far.

Why couldn't you put the base unit in the mine also and connect the base's phone connection to the cat5e cable? The cable will have orders of magnitude less loss at audio than at 1.9 GHz. Also the phone base unit will be feeding many orders of magnitude more signal into the cable than will an antenna.

Hi, I'm actually in Canada, but the standards are the same I believe.

I can't put the base unit in the mine because it serves other wireless extensions above ground. I may just have to set it up as a separate land line it looks like. Thanks for your input though :)

I've never tried this or even heard of it being done, but couldn't you get an extra base unit for down in the mine and wire the land line output as an extension of the base unit above ground?

How about a WI FI based system above and below ground, connected by a wired ethernet link? The system is referred to as SIP and you use it just like a telephone system - dialling in and out transparently. Voice over Internet Protocol. It could be a turnkey project for you.

Would a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_repeater" work in this case?

Edit: I misread. You're not using a cell phone. Maybe they have something similar that would work with this cordless phone setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Using a wireless phone 160ft underground?

1. How does a wireless phone work 160ft underground?

The radio waves used by wireless phones are able to penetrate through most materials, including soil and rock. However, the strength and quality of the signal may be affected by the distance and any obstructions in the path between the phone and the cell tower.

2. Is it safe to use a wireless phone 160ft underground?

The safety of using a wireless phone underground depends on the specific location and conditions. It is generally safe to use a wireless phone underground as long as there is good signal strength and no risk of explosion or interference with sensitive equipment.

3. Will using a wireless phone underground drain the battery faster?

The battery life of a wireless phone may be affected by the distance and obstructions between the phone and the cell tower. If the signal is weak, the phone will use more power to maintain a connection, which may drain the battery faster.

4. Can I make calls or send texts while 160ft underground?

It is possible to make calls and send texts while underground, as long as there is a strong enough signal from the cell tower. However, some underground locations may have limited or no cell service, making it impossible to use a wireless phone.

5. Are there any special considerations for using a wireless phone 160ft underground?

If you plan on using a wireless phone 160ft underground, it is important to ensure that you have a strong signal and that your phone is fully charged. You may also need to use a headset or speakerphone to overcome any potential interference from the underground environment.