Using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity

In summary: Yes, that is the easiest way. I work with silicon detectors for ATLAS, and they are essentially solar cells. This is what we do to measure the intensity of a laser in the lab.great thanks =)If it's a very small spot you might want to diffuse it a little - solar cells have structures on the surface (electrodes etc) so the response might depend on exactly where on the cell you hit.Try moving the sensor around by a few mm as you measure and see if there is any difference in the current
trini
so I am testing out different designs on a nitrogen laser, and wanted a quick way to test whether or not one design had a more intense output than the other. without having to buy a sensor, my idea was to direct the beam onto a solar cell, then measure the output current. higher current wud mean higher intensity. is this a reasonable assumption for the test?

Science news on Phys.org
nothing? =(

trini said:
so I am testing out different designs on a nitrogen laser, and wanted a quick way to test whether or not one design had a more intense output than the other. without having to buy a sensor, my idea was to direct the beam onto a solar cell, then measure the output current. higher current wud mean higher intensity. is this a reasonable assumption for the test?

Yes, that is the easiest way. I work with silicon detectors for ATLAS, and they are essentially solar cells. This is what we do to measure the intensity of a laser in the lab.

Likes DDnoob
great thanks =)

If it's a very small spot you might want to diffuse it a little - solar cells have structures on the surface (electrodes etc) so the response might depend on exactly where on the cell you hit.

Try moving the sensor around by a few mm as you measure and see if there is any difference in the current

trini said:

Knowing the wavelength, here's what you may expect as a response:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Response_silicon_photodiode.svg

If ever you need accurate measurements of average cw power or single pulse energy, google "laser power meter".

Related to Using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity

What is a solar cell and how does it work?

A solar cell is a device that converts light into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. It is made up of layers of silicon and other materials that create an electric field, allowing photons (particles of light) to knock electrons loose and create a flow of electricity.

Can a solar cell be used to measure the intensity of a laser?

Yes, a solar cell can be used as a qualitative test of laser intensity. When a laser beam is directed onto a solar cell, the amount of electricity produced is directly proportional to the intensity of the laser. This makes it a useful tool for measuring the relative intensity of different laser beams.

What factors can affect the accuracy of using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity?

The accuracy of using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity can be affected by several factors. These include the angle of the laser beam hitting the solar cell, the temperature of the solar cell, and the type and quality of the solar cell itself. It is important to control for these factors when conducting experiments with a solar cell as a test for laser intensity.

How can a solar cell be calibrated for use as a qualitative test of laser intensity?

To calibrate a solar cell for use as a qualitative test of laser intensity, you can use a known light source, such as a light bulb, to produce a consistent amount of light. Measure the voltage and current produced by the solar cell with the known light source, and then compare these values to the voltage and current produced by the laser beam. This will give you a baseline for the intensity of the laser beam.

Are there any safety considerations when using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using a solar cell as a qualitative test of laser intensity. Laser beams can be harmful to the eyes, so it is important to use appropriate protective eyewear when working with lasers. Additionally, be sure to follow all safety precautions when handling and using lasers, and avoid pointing the laser beam directly into the eyes or at other people.