Using a simple pendulum to determine g

In summary, The participant was asked to measure the length and time of oscillations for a pendulum bob swinging through a small arc (10 degrees). They were then supposed to graph the data to find "g". However, their measured value of "time" did not match the period of the pendulum, causing them to question their equations. They eventually realized that they needed to use Period ^2 in order to correctly calculate "g".
Celer
Using a simple pendulum to determine "g"

1. Using a simple pendulum to determine "g"
Basically, we were asked to do an experiment where we measured with a stopwatch for 20 complete oscillations for a pendulum bob swinging through a small arc (10 degrees). We increased the length of the string attached to the bob by 10 cm every time from 20cm to 1m.
Then, we were supposed to graph length to time^2 and figure out a value of "g" and give a straight line graph in the form of y=mx + c

Basically, i recorded data like this
attachment.php?attachmentid=15248&d=1220182782.png

Using Time^2, and Length, I plot the graph and drew a line of best fit in the form of y=mx + c. I got a slope (m) of 14.371

Homework Equations

I used g = 4pi^2 / m

Where m is the slope of the graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation, I subbed in all the numbers to find "g" for the first point of data.

So, g = 4pi^2/14.371
g = 2.747

My question is, as we all know "g" should be 9.8 meters per second ^2. I am getting a figure of 2.747 meters per second ^2. Which is awfully off what it should be right?

I am wondering if one of my equations are set up wrong, or did I measure something wrong?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 9,537
Physics news on Phys.org

Celer said:

Homework Equations

I used g = 4pi^2 / m
What's the actual relationship in terms of length and period?

How does your measured value of "time" relate to the period of the pendulum?

Well, I know that length and period are used in this equation:

T^2 = 4pi^2L / g.

my measure of Time (s) is of 20 oscilliations of the pendulum.

and Period = time / # of cycles.

So is it what I am supposed to do is use Period ^2 instead of Time^2 ?

Am I supposed to use T^2 = 4pi^2L / g and bring it over to y = mx + c, where Period^2 is at the y-axis, Length at the x-axis?

Sorry, I'm still a little confused as to how to do this question.

Celer said:
Well, I know that length and period are used in this equation:

T^2 = 4pi^2L / g.
Right. Here, T is the period, not your measured 20 oscillations.

my measure of Time (s) is of 20 oscilliations of the pendulum.

and Period = time / # of cycles.

So is it what I am supposed to do is use Period ^2 instead of Time^2 ?
Yep. Or rewrite the equation above in terms of measured time, instead of period.

In my school i am doing an experiment on pendulum to plot a l-t^2 graph.

Uh yeah, I think I was confused over using Time and Period. It should be period.

I got 1088.48 cm / s^2

I was wondering how to calculate the percentage error?

Is it ( 1 - (980 / 1088.48) ) * 100

Anyways, thanks for your clarification and help Doc Al

Celer said:
I was wondering how to calculate the percentage error?

Is it ( 1 - (980 / 1088.48) ) * 100

It's best to express your error as a percentage of the correct value.

Parandroid said:
In my school i am doing an experiment on pendulum to plot a l-t^2 graph.
I damn confused i have to make a L-T graph. which will be a parabola but with my readings a staright line is coming...

Related to Using a simple pendulum to determine g

1. What is a simple pendulum and how does it work?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the weight is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth in an arc. The motion of the pendulum is governed by gravity and the length of the string, and can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity (g).

2. How do you set up a simple pendulum to determine g?

To set up a simple pendulum for determining g, you will need a weight, a string or rod, and a fixed point to suspend the weight from. The length of the string should be measured and recorded. The pendulum should then be pulled to one side and released, allowing it to swing freely. The time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing should be measured and recorded.

3. What is the equation for calculating g using a simple pendulum?

The equation for calculating g using a simple pendulum is: g = 4π²L/T², where L is the length of the string and T is the time it takes for one full swing of the pendulum.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of using a simple pendulum to determine g?

The accuracy of using a simple pendulum to determine g can be affected by several factors, including air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and variations in the length of the string. Additionally, slight variations in the timing of the pendulum's swings can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can the results of using a simple pendulum to determine g be improved?

To improve the results of using a simple pendulum to determine g, several measures can be taken. These can include using a longer string to reduce the effects of air resistance and friction, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and using a more accurate timing device, such as a stopwatch or computer program.