Using a puley for analysis on an air track?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking advice on using a pulley for an experiment on an air track. They have tried different methods but have encountered issues with interference and drag. Suggestions are made to use a strobe light and camera or attach the trolley to a string on a pivot. The student also mentions a data logger and the specific data they want to record for their experiment on collisions, specifically kinetic energy and momentum.
Atlaπtis
using a puley for analysis on an air track?

I'm doing an experiment using an air track, and my school only has one photogate/lightgate. So I'm trying to figure out a way of using the pulley (not an actual pulley, one that is used with a data logger to record time and velocity) without it effecting the experiment...We have tried heaps of different ways but all the things we have done have either added too much drag to the air track trolley thing so it hasn't been able to move freely or the wire of the pulley has interfered (as it's connected to the data logger) and it has pulled the trolley down the track...so I'm stuck...Anyone got any ideas?? Or know of any other way we can measure the trolleys?

(by the way, my experiment is to do with collisions (momentum and energy))

Physics news on Phys.org

What about a strobe light and a camera? Would that be accurate?

If your air track is an air table. then you could attach the trolley to a string which is tied to a pivot in the center of the table. Then a single photogate can record the transit time around the circle. Because the force of the string is perpendicular to the trolley's velocity, it should not change it.

Nah, it's just a normal air track

What data logger are you using?

What specific data do you want to record--pos. vs. time for one cart, for each cart, separation between the carts vs. time...?

To be honest, I actually don't remember what it said on the top of the data logger. It's one of the ones that are hooked up to a computer, and it's used with a program called Tainlab WinTec. I'm on the programs website and I'm pretty sure it's the TecMaster.

What I am looking to record is the distance vs time or velocity vs time for one cart just before the collisions and then for the other cart just after the collision (the second cart will be stationary). The experiment I am trying to do is about kinetic energy and momentum

Related to Using a puley for analysis on an air track?

What is an air track and how does it work?

An air track is a flat, smooth surface with a series of small holes that allows air to flow through. This creates a cushion of air that reduces friction and allows objects to glide smoothly along the track.

How does using a pulley help with analysis on an air track?

Using a pulley allows for the measurement of forces and changes in motion on the air track. It can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as inertia, friction, and acceleration.

What types of experiments can be done using a pulley on an air track?

Experiments that involve studying motion, such as acceleration, velocity, and forces, can be done using a pulley on an air track. You can also use it to study collisions, energy conservation, and other related concepts.

How do you set up a pulley for analysis on an air track?

To set up a pulley for analysis on an air track, you will need to attach the pulley to the air track using clamps or other secure methods. You will also need to attach a weight, such as a mass hanger or a string with a weight attached, to one side of the pulley and a force sensor to the other side. Make sure the pulley is aligned with the air track and adjust as needed.

What are some common sources of error when using a pulley for analysis on an air track?

Some common sources of error when using a pulley for analysis on an air track include friction in the pulley or air track, inaccurate measurements of forces or motion, and human error in data collection and analysis. It is important to carefully set up and calibrate the equipment and to take multiple measurements to reduce these sources of error.