Using 5 point charges, finding the charge of q1 and q2 using given force

In summary, the figure shows five point charges placed on a line, at intervals of 1 cm. The question asks for values of q1 and q2 that result in a zero net electrical force on each of the three charges. The law of coulomb is likely used, but it can get confusing with more than two charges. The solution involves considering the direction and magnitude of each force and using the fact that the total force must equal zero.
MissJewels

Homework Statement

The figure shows five point charges placed on a line, at intervals of 1 cm. For what values of q1 and q2resultant electrical force exerted on each of the three charges is zero?
11.gif

Homework Equations

I imagine the law of coulomb is used here, however, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tackle this one, since the resulting force on the given charges is zero. I guess, it gets confusing when you add more than 2 charges. Anyway, anyone have any hints to help me figure this one out?

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't got an idea

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same as adding 2 forces except now you're adding 4!

Think about what direction each force is acting on and draw some pictures. You know that the total force = 0. In other words. The forces acting to the left have to cancel out the forces acting to the right.

Related to Using 5 point charges, finding the charge of q1 and q2 using given force

What is the formula for finding the charge of q1 and q2 using 5 point charges and given force?

The formula for finding the charge of q1 and q2 using 5 point charges and given force is: q1 = (F*q2)/r^2, where F is the given force and r is the distance between the two charges.

What are the units for charge, force, and distance in this formula?

The units for charge are usually measured in Coulombs (C), force in Newtons (N), and distance in meters (m).

Can this formula be used for any type of force, or only electrostatic forces?

This formula can be used for any type of force, as long as the force and distance between the charges are known.

How do I determine the direction of the charges q1 and q2 using this formula?

The direction of the charges can be determined by the direction of the given force. If the force is attractive, then the charges will have opposite signs. If the force is repulsive, then the charges will have the same sign.

What if the distance between the charges is not given, how can I find the charge of q1 and q2?

If the distance between the charges is not given, then it is not possible to find the exact values for q1 and q2. However, if the ratio of the distances between q1 and the other four charges is known, then the value of q1 can be determined using the formula: q1 = (F*q2)/(r^2 * (1 + 1/α + 1/β + 1/γ + 1/δ)), where α, β, γ, and δ are the ratios of the distances between q1 and the other four charges.