Using 3 Points to Find Quadratic Equation in General Form

In summary: General Form (ax^2 + bx + c). In summary, using points (1,0);(3,0);(0,-6) and solving for x, you can find the quadratic formula in General Form (ax^2 + bx + c).
xpeteyzx
Help! Using 3 Points to Find Quadratic Equation in General Form

I have a quadratic equation question that I have to solve, but I can't seem to understand it.
The question is: "Using points (1,0);(3,0);(0,-6), find the quadratic formula in General Form
(ax^2 + bx + c).

My teacher says that I have use the method of y= a(x-p) + q to solve it, no other method is allowed for me to use.

I had a try at it:

{ a(1-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(1)
{ a(3-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(2)
{ a(p)^2 + q= -6 ...(3)

{ a - 2ap + ap^2 + q= 0 ...(4)
{ 9a - 6ap + ap^2 + q= 0...(5)

{ -8a + 4ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -9a + 6ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -48a + 24ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -36a + 24ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -12a= 24 ...(8)
a= -2

I have the constant "a" down, but I can't get "p" or "q"
Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract equation 1 from eq 2.

ehild

I did that to get equation 6

You know a already, substitute it into eq,.6.ehild

Likes 1 person
Would you get P = -2?

xpeteyzx said:
I have a quadratic equation question that I have to solve, but I can't seem to understand it.
The question is: "Using points (1,0);(3,0);(0,-6), find the quadratic formula in General Form
(ax^2 + bx + c).

My teacher says that I have use the method of y= a(x-p) + q to solve it, no other method is allowed for me to use.

You mean ##y = a(x-p)^2+q##

I had a try at it:
{ a(1-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(1)
{ a(3-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(2)
{ a(p)^2 + q= -6 ...(3)

{ -8a + 4ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -9a + 6ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -48a + 24ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -36a + 24ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -12a= 24 ...(8)
a= -2

So put ##a=-2## in your equations 1 and 2 and see if you can solve them. It's easy.

Likes 1 person
ok, I'll try that

Why minus?

ehild

(1,0);(3,0);(0,-6)

You must have made a typo; those points can't form a parabola.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
(1,0);(3,0);(0,-6)

Yes, they do.

What do you mean, "no other method is allowed"? Starting and proceeding through standard form is much more complicated. Why not use general form, create your three equations, perform row operations to find a, b, and c (as for general form), and then you can write the general form equation; from that, you can complete the square to find the standard form version of the parabola.

You would start with this matrix:
[ 1 1 1 0 ]
[ 9 3 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 -6 ]
For columns representing a, b, c, and y; the variables now being a, b, and c.

You would find the equation, y=-2x2+8x-6, and the three given points each satisfy this equation. (That is still in general form...)

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
What do you mean, "no other method is allowed"?
He means he can't use the Vandermonde matrix approach that you outlined.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
(1,0);(3,0);(0,-6)

Given any 3 points, as long as they're not collinear and they all have different x-values to each other, you can form a parabola passing through them.

symbolipoint said:
What do you mean, "no other method is allowed"? Starting and proceeding through standard form is much more complicated. Why not use general form, create your three equations, perform row operations to find a, b, and c (as for general form), and then you can write the general form equation; from that, you can complete the square to find the standard form version of the parabola.

You would start with this matrix:
[ 1 1 1 0 ]
[ 9 3 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 -6 ]
For columns representing a, b, c, and y; the variables now being a, b, and c.

You would find the equation, y=-2x2+8x-6, and the three given points each satisfy this equation. (That is still in general form...)

A much, much easier way is to note that the two zeros of the quadratic form are given as part of the input data, so y = A*(x-1)*(x-3). Get the constant A from the requirement that y = -6 when x = 0.

OK, that is not in the teacher's standard form, but it can easily be re-written to conform.

Mentallic said:
Given any 3 points, as long as they're not collinear and they all have different x-values to each other, you can form a parabola passing through them.
Not strictly true. The curve [itex]x=y^2[/itex] is also a parabola, isn't it?

oay said:
Strictly true.

If you generate three (x,y) pairs from x=y2 such that all of the x values are different you won't recreate x=y2 when trying to fit to y=ax^2+bx+c. You will however find a unique set of values for a, b, and c.

oay said:

Yes :smile: Although I left it out to avoid going on and on about the situations of when it's a function of x versus a function of y, and we could have even gone further and mentioned rotated parabolas etc.

Ray Vickson said:
A much, much easier way is to note that the two zeros of the quadratic form are given as part of the input data, so y = A*(x-1)*(x-3). Get the constant A from the requirement that y = -6 when x = 0.

OK, that is not in the teacher's standard form, but it can easily be re-written to conform.

Yes, I almost had that but become confused during that analysis. Although I solved the problem in the way as I indicated earlier, not the way xpetey wanted, at least converting into standard form made sense.

D H said:
Strictly true.

If you generate three (x,y) pairs from x=y2 such that all of the x values are different you won't recreate x=y2 when trying to fit to y=ax^2+bx+c. You will however find a unique set of values for a, b, and c.
Ok, strictly true. The 3 x-values being different is a sufficient condition but it isn't a necessary condition, which is what I thought Mentallic was suggesting (and his/her subsequent response supports that).

But I've no idea why you're trying to fit any general parabola to [itex]y=ax^2+bx+c[/itex]

That may be relevant to this thread's OP, but not what I was saying to Mentallic.

xpeteyzx said:
(ax^2 + bx + c).

I had a try at it:

{ a(1-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(1)
{ a(3-p)^2 + q= 0 ...(2)
{ a(p)^2 + q= -6 ...(3)

{ -8a + 4ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -9a + 6ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -48a + 24ap= 0 ...(6)
{ -36a + 24ap= -6 ...(7)

{ -12a= 24 ...(8)
a= -2

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Was your teacher requiring you to use that form in solution, or suggesting that would be the best way.

Those 2 points (1,0) and (3,0) make that method pretty useful,
but then the form y = a(x-m)(x-n) is also pretty handy.

Duplicate threads merged.

I am getting really confused...

PeterO said:
Was your teacher requiring you to use that form in solution, or suggesting that would be the best way.

He told me that I had to use only that theory to solve it. He said any other theory results in a F for that assignment.

PeterO said:

The equation theory of y=a(x-p) + q

xpeteyzx said:
The equation theory of y=a(x-p) + q
You've been asked this before, but you never did answer: Are you *sure* your teacher didn't tell you to use y=a(x-p)2+q instead of y=a(x-p)+q ?

D H said:
You've been asked this before, but you never did answer: Are you *sure* your teacher didn't tell you to use y=a(x-p)2+q instead of y=a(x-p)+q ?

xpeteyzx,

That y=a(x-p)2+q is just the standard form for a parabola. It permits more easily translating between graph and equation. Using it directly may more easily allow you to find value of "a", but you can still use general form to setup your three equations and solve as a matrix for b and c of the GENERAL form; and then convert to standard form.

symbolipoint said:
but you can still use general form to setup your three equations and solve as a matrix for b and c of the GENERAL form; and then convert to standard form.
My take is that this approach will get him an F. As I understand the problem, he needs to determine the values of a, p, and q in a(x-p)2+q and then convert those to the a, b, and c in y=ax2+bx+c.

I am imagining a way, starting from purely factored form as Ray Vickson said. Completing the square on axY2+bx+c and comparing the two standard forms will show p and q according to corresponding positions of variables.

I think that we should focus on teaching how to find the values of a, p, and q in y=a(x-p)2+q given that y(1)=0, y(3)=0, and y(0)=-6.

xpeteyzx, try using the fact that y(1)=y(3) to find p. Then use y(0)=-6 and either of y(1)=0 or y(3)=0 to find the values of a and q.

D H said:

Sorry, I meant y=a(x-p)^2 + q

D H said:
I think that we should focus on teaching how to find the values of a, p, and q in y=a(x-p)2+q given that y(1)=0, y(3)=0, and y(0)=-6.

Wasn't that done long before this/these thread(s) want bananas? Post #6, which I think was post #2 or #3 before the threads were merged did just that.

Related to Using 3 Points to Find Quadratic Equation in General Form

1. How do you use 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form?

To find a quadratic equation in general form using 3 points, you will need to use the formula y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. Plug in the coordinates of the 3 points into this formula and create a system of equations. Then, solve for a, b, and c using algebraic methods.

2. What are the 3 points needed to find a quadratic equation in general form?

The 3 points needed to find a quadratic equation in general form are the x and y coordinates of 3 distinct points on the graph of the quadratic function. These points can be any points on the graph, as long as they are not on the same line.

3. Can you use more than 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form?

Yes, you can use more than 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form. However, 3 points are the minimum number needed to create a system of equations and solve for the constants a, b, and c.

4. What is the benefit of using 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form?

Using 3 points allows you to find a specific quadratic equation that passes through those 3 points. This can be useful in real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or modeling the growth of a population.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form?

Yes, there are limitations to using 3 points to find a quadratic equation in general form. This method assumes that the 3 points are accurate and that the graph of the quadratic function is smooth and continuous. If the points are not accurate or the graph is not smooth, the resulting equation may not be an accurate representation of the function.