User_6Calculating G-Forces on Amusement Park Ride

• Thread starter iMac_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    G-forces
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the G-Forces a rider will experience on an amusement park ride. The track is 200m long and the 'pod' accelerates at 5.1m/s2. The formula g's = a / 9.8m/s is used to calculate the G-Force, but the resulting value of 0.52g seems unlikely. It is pointed out that this calculation is in addition to the ambient 1g and the direction of the acceleration is not specified. The conversation ends with the possibility that the value of 5.1 may be incorrect.
iMac_
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the G-Forces a rider will experience whilst riding an amusement park ride.

The track is 200m long and the 'pod' (What the rider is in) accelerates uniformly at a rate I found to be 5.1m/s2.

So, to calculate the G-Force, I planned to use the formula g's = a / 9.8m/s, but this gives me a value of 0.52g, which I found unlikely.

Would anyone be able to point out my error, because I'm fairly certain it's a mistake on my part.
Thanks
-iMac_

Physics news on Phys.org
iMac_ said:
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the G-Forces a rider will experience whilst riding an amusement park ride.

The track is 200m long and the 'pod' (What the rider is in) accelerates uniformly at a rate I found to be 5.1m/s2.

So, to calculate the G-Force, I planned to use the formula g's = a / 9.8m/s, but this gives me a value of 0.52g, which I found unlikely.

The calculation is correct, but remember this is in addition to the ambient 1g, and you haven't said which direction the acceleration is. If the acceleration is straight up then we have a total of 1.52g; if horizontal then √(12+0.522) = 1.13g.
It doesn't seem much to you because you're so accustomed to the 1g. Consider how it feels when you stand on your head. If memory serves, red-out occurs at about -5g and blackout at +7g.
OTOH, maybe your 5.1 is wrong?

Related to User_6Calculating G-Forces on Amusement Park Ride

1. How are G-forces measured on amusement park rides?

G-forces are measured using an accelerometer, a device that measures acceleration. This device is typically placed on the riders or the ride itself to measure the forces experienced during the ride.

2. What is considered a high G-force on an amusement park ride?

G-forces above 5 G's are considered high and can be uncomfortable for most riders. Some roller coasters and other thrill rides can reach up to 6 G's, but they are usually short-lived and not sustained for a long period of time.

3. How do G-forces affect the body?

G-forces can have various effects on the body depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. High G-forces can cause blood to pool in certain parts of the body, resulting in a feeling of weightlessness or blacking out. They can also cause discomfort and strain on the body, particularly on the neck and head.

4. How do amusement parks ensure the safety of riders in regards to G-forces?

Amusement parks have strict safety regulations and guidelines in place to ensure that rides are designed and operated within safe limits for G-forces. Engineers and scientists use mathematical models and simulations to calculate and test the G-forces experienced on rides before they are opened to the public.

5. Can G-forces cause long-term health effects?

While G-forces on amusement park rides can cause discomfort and temporary effects on the body, there is no evidence to suggest that they can cause long-term health effects. However, individuals with certain health conditions, such as heart problems, may be advised to avoid high G-force rides.