Mastering Motion of 2 Dimensions in Physics - Solved Problem and Techniques

• Thread starter deliveryman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Grade 12 Advanced Placement Physics involving the Motion of 2 Dimensions and the "Component Technique". The problem involves determining the initial velocity of a ball thrown by a passenger in a hot-air balloon, given its acceleration and instantaneous velocity after 2 seconds. The solution involves using the Sine and Cosine laws, as well as the formula Vx^2 + Vy^2 = 24^2. The conversation ends with a note on the use of 'U' and 'V' to refer to initial and end velocities, and 'x' and 'y' for horizontal and vertical directions.
deliveryman
[SOLVED] Physics - HELP!

Hey guys,

Currently taking Grade 12 Advanced Placement Physics. I'm craming for a kinetics test tomorrow, which I will do reasonably well. However, I am still stumped on solving Motion of 2 Dimensions using the "Component Technique". I am able solve it using the Sine and Cosine laws, but I have to be able to solve it using both.

If anyone could help me out by taking a shot at explaining it, it would be very much appreicated.

A sample problem:

A passenger in a hot-air balloon throws a ball with an initial unknown velocity. The ball accelerates at 9.8m/s/s [down] for 2.0s, at which time its instantaneious velocity is 24m/s [45 degrees below the horizontal]. Determine the ball's initial velocity.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After 2 seconds,
Vx^2 + Vy^2 = 24^2

With the 45 degree angle thing, conclude Vx = Vy at this time

Vx = (576/2)^0.5
= 16.97ms-1
Vy = 16.97ms-1

Assume horizontal velocity unchanged over 2s. Ux = Vx = 16.97ms-1

Uy = Vy - 9.81*2
= - 2.63ms-1

Note: 'U' refers to initial velocities, 'V' to end ones, 'x' to horizontal direction, 'y' to vertical.

Initial speed = 17.17ms-1

1. What is meant by "Mastering Motion of 2 Dimensions in Physics"?

"Mastering Motion of 2 Dimensions in Physics" refers to understanding and being able to apply the concepts and equations related to the motion of objects in two dimensions, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. Why is it important to study the motion of objects in 2 dimensions?

Studying the motion of objects in 2 dimensions allows us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in real-world scenarios. This is particularly important in fields such as engineering and mechanics, where precise calculations and predictions are necessary for designing and building structures and machines.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve problems involving 2-dimensional motion in physics?

Some common techniques used to solve problems involving 2-dimensional motion in physics include using vector diagrams, breaking the motion into components, and using equations such as the kinematic equations and the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can you provide an example of a solved problem involving 2-dimensional motion in physics?

One example of a solved problem involving 2-dimensional motion in physics is finding the displacement of a ball thrown at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. Using the equations for horizontal and vertical motion, we can calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's velocity, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the overall displacement.

5. How can I improve my understanding and mastery of 2-dimensional motion in physics?

To improve your understanding and mastery of 2-dimensional motion in physics, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the equations and techniques. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes, to reinforce your understanding and identify any areas that may need further review.