Useful Representations of Log Audio Frequency Spectrum

In summary, the discussion revolves around generating a list of numbers between 20 and 20,000 Hz in log space for audio spectrum analysis. The current list generator provides fine resolution in the low frequencies but compresses the high frequencies too much. The code used for generating the list is also shown. The conversation then delves into the use of logarithmic scales in audio software, particularly in Adobe Audition, and raises questions about the accuracy and effectiveness of using a mathematical log function for audio data presentation. The possibility of Audition using a spline curve instead of a log function is also mentioned.
Deepsatchel
Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to basically generate a list of numbers between 20 and 20,000 (Hz) in log space that will give good resolution to parts of the audio spectrum that matter! After all that is the point of using log scale for frequency in the first place.

The list generator I have at this point gives very fine resolution between 20 and 100 Hz, and when it gets closer to 20kHz, it's counting by the thousands. A good audio log scale should expand the lows and compress the highs, but not to this degree! What I'm doing is unaltered "log," I believe. Here's exactly what my code looks like:

top = 20000
bottom = 20
bands = 12

loop i from 0 to bands
nextBand = 10^((i/bands)*log10(top-bottom+1))-1+bottom;
save the new frequency value to the list...
end loop

The result:

20, 21, 24, 30, 46, 80, 160, 341, 755, 1699, 3854, 8773, 20000.

In practice I will use many more bands. When I use 400 bands (a reasonable use case), I get 96 of them in the 20's! That is way too many. So if straight logarithmic scale is not what's normally used, then what is? I noticed pictures of Adobe Audition's spectral analyzer on Google Images had scales that seemed approximately logarithmic but expanded more in the middle than regular log.

Anyone know about this?
Thanks, Elwood

Engineering news on Phys.org
Example: http://acousticaddicts.com/0001/AllFourSoftD.jpg

Notice how the distance from 100 to 1k is much smaller than the distance from 1k to 10k... What did they do to the scale?

I know I keep harping on and on, but it seems more likely that in fact the Adobe Audition scale is completely unrelated to an actual log function. I've never met a log function that does not hug the y-axis (thus give very fine resolution - small frequency steps) from 0 out to, say, 1. This is what gives the unwanted fine resolution in the lower frequencies. Therefore a mathematical log is not a foolproof choice to present audio data. Instead, probably, Audition splines a curve over a couple points.

It does resemple log space, but not down close to zero.

Any thoughts?

Related to Useful Representations of Log Audio Frequency Spectrum

1. What is the log audio frequency spectrum?

The log audio frequency spectrum is a representation of the audio frequency spectrum on a logarithmic scale. This means that the frequency values increase exponentially rather than linearly. It is often used in audio processing and analysis to better visualize and understand the distribution of frequencies in a signal.

2. Why is a logarithmic scale used for the audio frequency spectrum?

A logarithmic scale is used for the audio frequency spectrum because it better represents the way humans perceive sound. Our ears are more sensitive to changes in lower frequencies than higher frequencies, so a logarithmic scale allows for a more accurate and intuitive representation of the audio spectrum.

3. How is the log audio frequency spectrum calculated?

The log audio frequency spectrum is calculated by taking the logarithm of the frequency values in a traditional linear frequency spectrum. This is typically done using a base 10 logarithm, which makes it easier to interpret the results and compare them to human perception.

4. What are the benefits of using a log audio frequency spectrum?

One of the main benefits of using a log audio frequency spectrum is that it allows for a more accurate representation of the audio signal. This is especially important when analyzing signals with a wide range of frequencies. Additionally, it better aligns with human perception, making it easier for scientists and audio engineers to interpret and manipulate the data.

5. How is the log audio frequency spectrum used in audio processing and analysis?

The log audio frequency spectrum is commonly used in audio processing and analysis to visualize and manipulate the frequency content of an audio signal. It can be used to identify specific frequencies or frequency ranges, remove unwanted noise, and enhance certain frequencies for a more balanced sound. It is also used in the design and evaluation of audio equipment, such as equalizers and filters.