Use the work-energy theorem to derive an expression for v^2

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem statement involving the work energy theorem, with the given equation .5mv2 - .5mv2 = (kx - μmg)d. The final velocity is found to be 0, and the equation is then rearranged to solve for v2. The conversation also addresses missing information about the values of k and x, with k representing the spring constant and x representing the distance. It is mentioned that the initial equation may be incorrect and there is also a discussion about the energy in the spring.
David112234

Homework Statement

Capture.png

Homework Equations

Work energy theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

.5mv2 - .5mv2 = (kx - μmg)d
final velocity is 0

½mv2 =(kx - μmg)d
solve for v2

((kx - μmg)d2)m
When this was wrong I tried integrating Fx but it was still wrong
Capture2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I miss a question in this problem statement ?
I miss what ##k## means (but I can guess)
I also miss what ##x## means, which is very important. Note that there is a ##d## already.

BvU said:
I miss a question in this problem statement ?
I miss what ##k## means (but I can guess)
I also miss what ##x## means, which is very important. Note that there is a ##d## already.
K is the spring constant
X is supposed to be d, I am just used to using x for position, in answers 3-4 i changed it to d

David112234 said:
K is the spring constant
X is supposed to be d, I am just used to using x for position, in answers 3-4 i changed it to d
If x is d, your very first equation is wrong.
Remeber that there is energy in the spring both initially and after the mass has moved distance d. What is the change in that energy?

Related to Use the work-energy theorem to derive an expression for v^2

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object will result in a change in its velocity.

2. How is the work-energy theorem used?

The work-energy theorem can be used to analyze the motion of objects and determine the relationships between work, energy, and velocity. It can also be used to calculate the work done by different forces on an object.

3. What is the expression for v^2 derived from the work-energy theorem?

The expression for v^2 derived from the work-energy theorem is v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad, where v is final velocity, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and d is distance.

4. How is the work-energy theorem related to other laws of motion?

The work-energy theorem is related to other laws of motion, such as the law of conservation of energy and Newton's second law of motion. It provides a way to understand the relationship between work, energy, and velocity as objects move and interact with forces.

5. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It can also be applied to systems with multiple objects and complex forces.