Use the law of reflection and index of refraction to find apparent d

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving refraction and the calculation of an object's apparent depth. The first part is solved using the equation (Na/Sa) + (Nb/Sb) = (Nb - Na) / R, while the second part involves finding the image location and using trigonometry to calculate the apparent depth of the object. It is important not to round off until the end to ensure accurate results.
rocapp

Homework Statement

See image

Homework Equations

n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)
1/s + 1/s' = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is for the second part. I think I've figured out why I got it wrong, but I'm not sure.

So since the object distance (s) should be approximately 21 cm, then you apply the refraction theory to find

s'=s*n1/n2
s'=21*(1.33)
s'=~28 cm

Is this correct?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 11.39.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 11.39.36 AM.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, not correct. How did you do the first part, since it's the same kind of problem? For the second part, where is the image of the fish in the mirror? That's your "object".

Once you have the correct depth of the "object", do this. Imagine a small cone of light coming from that object extending up towards the surface. If that cone has an angle θ, what will be the angle of the cone after it leaves the water? Use that and a bit of trig to figure out the apparent depth of the object. (Assume the angles involved are small.)

For the first part, I used

(Na/Sa) + (Nb/Sb) = (Nb - Na) / R

1.3/6 + 1/x = nb - na / R

.217 + 1/x = nb - na / infinity

1/x = .217

x = 4.61 cm

rocapp said:
For the first part, I used

(Na/Sa) + (Nb/Sb) = (Nb - Na) / R

1.3/6 + 1/x = nb - na / R

.217 + 1/x = nb - na / infinity

1/x = .217

x = 4.61 cm
That's an excellent way to solve the problem. But don't round off until the end and you'll get the correct answer.

The second part can be handled the same way, once you find the correct image location.

Yes, your approach is correct. The second part of the question asks for the apparent distance (d) of the object, which can be found using the formula:

d = s + s'

where s is the object distance and s' is the image distance. As you correctly calculated, the image distance is 28 cm. Therefore, the apparent distance of the object is:

d = 21 cm + 28 cm = 49 cm

This means that the object appears to be 49 cm away from the observer due to the refraction of light through the medium with an index of refraction of 1.33.

Related to Use the law of reflection and index of refraction to find apparent d

1. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. In other words, when a ray of light strikes a reflective surface, the angle at which it hits the surface is always equal to the angle at which it bounces off.

2. How is the index of refraction defined?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can slow down the speed of light passing through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

3. How can the law of reflection and index of refraction be used to find apparent depth?

By using the formula for calculating apparent depth, which is given by: Apparent depth = Actual depth / Refractive index. We can use the laws of reflection and refraction to find the refractive index of the material, and then use that value to calculate the apparent depth.

4. Can the law of reflection and index of refraction be applied to all types of materials?

No, the law of reflection and index of refraction can only be applied to transparent materials such as glass, water, and air. These materials allow light to pass through them and are affected by the speed of light passing through them.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of using the law of reflection and index of refraction to find apparent depth?

The accuracy of using these laws to find apparent depth can be affected by the surface roughness of the material, the presence of impurities in the material, and the angle at which the light strikes the surface. These factors can cause some deviations from the expected values.