Use the equation of the straight line to predict future deaths.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a graph to represent data on cancer deaths, specifically focusing on whether the graph can be considered a function and the accuracy of using a linear function to predict future outcomes. The experts agree that a function is a relation between two variables and that a circle is not a function as it has two associated values for each x. They also mention the importance of using an appropriate function to accurately extrapolate data.
Gamma
Hello,

I have a set of data points to plot as graph.

X axis: Year
Y axis: Number of deaths due to cancer.

The graph is of parabolic shape opening to the right.

Following is my question:

I have been asked to plot only the first and last points and connect those points with a straight line. Use the equation of the straight line to predict future deaths.

Can this graph be considered as a function? I am not sure how to answer this. My answer is yes and No.

Yes because, by the definition of a function, you have a certain output for a certain in put. The definition does not worry about the accuracy of the output.

No because, two points in a set of data can not accurately predict the future outcomes.

Experts... what are your thoughts?

Thank You in advance.

Gamma

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm..seems like you're just plotting a linear function of x

This might sound a bit daft, but to answer your question another way let's say I decide that the best way to graph a cosine wave between [itex] -\pi [/itex] and [itex] \pi [/itex] is to use the following functions...
[itex] y = (\frac {2}{\pi})^2 (x+ \pi)^2 -1 [/itex] on the interval [ [itex] -\pi,\frac {-\pi}{2} ] [/itex]

[itex]y = -(\frac {2}{\pi})^2 x^2 +1 [/itex] on the interval [ [itex] \frac {-\pi}{2},\frac {\pi}{2}[/itex] ]and

[itex] y = (\frac {2}{\pi})^2 (x- \pi)^2 -1 [/itex] on the interval [[itex] \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi [/itex]]

Just because the method I employ is totally ridiculous does it make [itex] y = (\frac {2}{\pi})^2 x^2 +1 [/itex], [itex] y = (\frac {2}{\pi})^2 (x+ \pi)^2 -1 [/itex], or[itex] y = (\frac {2}{\pi})^2 (x- \pi)^2 -1 [/itex] any less functions of x? :smile:

Last edited:
A function does not have to predict accurately the future outcomes. This a problem of modeling intelligently a situation.

A funtions is roughly defined as being a relation between to variables such as for each x, there is one and only one y which is associated to.

Hence, a linear relation between to variables is a function.

A circle does is not a function because for each x, there are two values of y that are associated. You must therefore take the upper (0,Pi) OR the lower (Pi, 2Pi) part of the circle to accurately describe it as a function.

Last edited:
A function does not have to predict accurately the future outcomes. This a problem of modeling intelligently a situation.

Make sense. Thank you both for your thoughts. Regards,

Gamma.

Gagle The Terrible said:
A circle does is not a function because for each x, there are two values of y that are associated. You must therefore take the upper (0,Pi) OR the lower (Pi, 2Pi) part of the circle to accurately describe it as a function.
To be correct, a circle is a function, but is a function of two variables (x and y). A function is simply a mapping from one set (call it A) to another set (call it B) such that every element of A corresponds to only 1 element of B.

No, a "circle" is not a function! It is a geometric object. What, exactly, is the function of two variables, f(x,y), that you are associating with the circle?

Gamma said:
I have a set of data points to plot as graph.

X axis: Year
Y axis: Number of deaths due to cancer.

The graph is of parabolic shape opening to the right.
Well it seems to me that if you want to extrapolate the function then clearly it is not the best approach to use a linear function that includes the first and last point of your original function.

No because, two points in a set of data can not accurately predict the future outcomes.
That depends on the function that is inter/exra-polated. :smile:
If you were to plot number of cancer deaths per 1000 people per year, the function will become a lot flatter. Then you could go one step further and plot the growth of that number per year. Then your linear extrapolation would become a bit more meaningful.

Last edited:

Related to Use the equation of the straight line to predict future deaths.

1. How accurate is the prediction of future deaths using the equation of the straight line?

The accuracy of the prediction depends on the data used to create the equation and the assumptions made about the future. If the data is reliable and the assumptions are realistic, the prediction can be fairly accurate. However, it is important to note that unexpected events or changes can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

2. What factors are considered when creating the equation of the straight line for predicting deaths?

The factors considered may vary depending on the specific study or research being conducted, but generally, factors such as population demographics, health trends, and historical data are taken into account. Other factors like natural disasters or pandemics may also be considered in certain cases.

3. Can the equation of the straight line be used to predict deaths for any time period?

The equation of the straight line can only be used to predict deaths for a specific time period based on the data used to create the equation. If the data is from a specific time frame, the prediction will only be accurate for that time frame. It cannot be used to predict deaths for an indefinite time period.

4. Is the equation of the straight line the only method for predicting future deaths?

No, there are various other methods and models that can be used to predict future deaths, such as regression analysis, time series analysis, and machine learning algorithms. Each method may have its own advantages and limitations, and the most suitable one may vary depending on the specific research objectives and available data.

5. How can the equation of the straight line be used to inform public health policies?

The equation of the straight line can provide valuable insights and predictions about future deaths, which can be used to inform and guide public health policies. By understanding the potential trends and patterns of deaths, policymakers can make informed decisions and take preventive measures to improve public health and save lives.