Use quadratic formula to solve a function

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to solve a given equation using the quadratic formula to find the values of Lambda1 and Lambda2. However, it is pointed out that the given expression is not an equation, and therefore cannot be solved. The individual then questions the approach and provides a solution in the attached document.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

L-1(1-(Lambda1+Lambda2)L+Lambda1Lambda2L2)Ft

Use quadratic formula to solve for Lambda1 and Lambda2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the equation inside the brackets and solved for L. It turned out that
L1=Lambda1 and L2=Lambda2

But when I plugged those findings back, I got a slightly different equation. Weird...

Anyway, is that a right approach or am I missing something? You can see my full solution in the attachment.

Thanks A LOT!

Attachments

• Solution.doc
    111 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetica said:

Homework Statement

L-1(1-(Lambda1+Lambda2)L+Lambda1Lambda2L2)Ft

Use quadratic formula to solve for Lambda1 and Lambda2
What you have is not an equation, so you can't solve for anything.
Kinetica said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the equation inside the brackets and solved for L.
An equation has an = in it. That's how you know it's an equation. You don't have an equation.
Kinetica said:
It turned out that
L1=Lambda1 and L2=Lambda2

But when I plugged those findings back, I got a slightly different equation. Weird...

Anyway, is that a right approach or am I missing something? You can see my full solution in the attachment.

Thanks A LOT!

Related to Use quadratic formula to solve a function

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic functions, which are functions in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. When should I use the quadratic formula?

You should use the quadratic formula whenever you need to solve a quadratic function. This could be when you are trying to find the x-intercepts of a parabola, or when solving a real-world problem that can be modeled with a quadratic function.

3. How do I use the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula can be written as x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. To use it, simply plug in the values of a, b, and c from your quadratic function and solve for x. Keep in mind that there may be two possible solutions, as indicated by the ± symbol.

4. Can I use the quadratic formula for any type of quadratic function?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve any quadratic function, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, if the value inside the square root (b^2-4ac) is negative, the function does not have real solutions and cannot be solved using the quadratic formula.

5. Are there any other methods for solving quadratic functions?

Yes, there are other methods for solving quadratic functions, such as factoring, completing the square, and graphing. However, the quadratic formula is often the most efficient and reliable method, especially for functions that cannot be easily factored.