Difference between rotational and angular velocity

In summary, the difference between "rotational velocity" and "angular velocity" is that angular velocity refers to the dimension of angle per unit time, while rotational velocity refers to either the number of revolutions per unit time or the linear velocity of a point on the circumference of a circle. References defining the difference can be found for further clarification.
gio
Can anyone tell me the difference between "rotational velocity" and "angular velocity"?

I got that angular velocity is the dimension of angle/time, but rotational velocity is the dimension of rotations/time.

Will appreciate it if you can also provide me with some references defining the difference.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quite frankly, I don't recall seeing "rotational velocity".

I could see it as having either of two meanings:
number of revolutions per unit time- if angular velocity is w radians per second, then (since there are 2pi radians in a circle) the "rotational velocity" would be w/(2pi) revolutions per second.

The other possibility is the linear velocity of a point on the circumference of the circle. Since an angle theta in a circle of radius r subtends an arc of length (theta/pi) r, the "rotational velocity" would be (w/pi) r.

What is the difference between rotational and angular velocity?

Rotational velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis, while angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is changing its rotational position.

How are rotational and angular velocity related?

Rotational and angular velocity are directly related, as rotational velocity is the derivative of angular velocity with respect to time. This means that as angular velocity increases, so does rotational velocity, and vice versa.

What are the units for rotational and angular velocity?

Rotational velocity is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s), while angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

What factors affect rotational and angular velocity?

The factors that affect rotational and angular velocity include the mass and distribution of mass of the object, the applied torque, and any external forces or friction acting on the object.

Can rotational and angular velocity ever be equal?

Yes, if an object is rotating at a constant speed around a fixed axis, its rotational velocity and angular velocity will be equal. However, in most cases, the two velocities will be different as the object's rotational position changes over time.