USB port on router - what be attached?

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router Usb
In summary, some routers have USB hosting capabilities and can support a variety of devices such as a print server, USB stick for torrenting, or a NAS device. This can be achieved using aftermarket firmwares like Tomato-USB, which may require some knowledge of command-line Linux. However, there are plenty of resources available for assistance.
StevieTNZ
Could I attach a USB port hub to the USB port on a router, and then attach two USB devices to the hub? Would that work, i.e. share the printer, and share a storage device?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Many routers run (or can run) a stripped down version of Linux on a SOC (system-on-chip). Depending on the chip and the operating system, it may very well have USB hosting capabilities. If you already have a router with a USB port on it, you should be able to look it up and see what you can attach to it.

Some of these "after-market" firmwares will support print server functionality, use of a USB stick for computer-less torrenting, or even use of a USB stick as a NAS device (Network-Attached Storage). Or more than one at a time, using a USB hub (assuming it's supported). The USB fork of the open-source Tomato project (Tomato-USB) can do this, though you can't use Tomato-USB on all routers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)#Feature_comparison

It probably helps if you know a little command-line Linux. But there seems to be a lot of help available at the Tomato-USB page:
http://tomatousb.org/tutorials

DISCLAIMER: I don't run Tomato-USB since I have a separate NAS and a network-attached printer.

Related to USB port on router - what be attached?

1. What devices can be attached to a USB port on a router?

Any device that can connect to a USB port and is compatible with the router can be attached. This includes external hard drives, printers, and even smartphones.

2. How do I know if my router has a USB port?

You can check the physical appearance of your router for a USB port or refer to the product specifications provided by the manufacturer.

3. What is the purpose of a USB port on a router?

A USB port on a router allows for additional devices to be connected to the network, providing more functionality and convenience for users.

4. Can I use a USB hub to connect multiple devices to the USB port on my router?

Yes, you can use a USB hub to connect multiple devices to the USB port on your router. However, keep in mind that the performance of these devices may be affected depending on the capabilities of your router.

5. Are there any security concerns with using a USB port on a router?

Yes, there can be security concerns if the connected devices are not properly secured. It is important to regularly update the firmware of your router and connected devices, and to use strong passwords to protect your network.