USB Details as shown by Device Manager?

• Thread starter rahulkhajuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of USB ports on a system and the discrepancy between the number of physical ports and the number of controllers and root hubs shown in the device manager. It also mentions an issue with the front ports not recognizing USB devices. The suggestion is made to test all 6 ports, as sometimes the front ones may not work properly.
rahulkhajuria
I have six usb ports in all on my system. 2 in the front and 4 at the back. Now if I go into device manager (in windows xp professional sp2) and check under "Universal Serial Bus Controller" I get the following:-

Intel(R) 82801 EB Universal Host Controller - 24D2

Intel(R) 82801 EB Universal Host Controller - 24D4

Intel(R) 82801 EB Universal Host Controller - 24D7

Intel(R) 82801 EB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

Intel(R) 82801 EB Universal Host Controller - 24DD

USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub

Now though I have physically 6 USB ports, I just see 5 USB controllers and 5 USB root hubs. Why so? Shouldn't there be 6 of those?

Also , when I try to insert a usb device plug into one of the usb sockets at the front of the P.C. , it says "USB Device not recognized" message .

I hope this is clear now. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tested all 6 ports? I've had a couple computers where one port wasn't working.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you tested all 6 ports? I've had a couple computers where one port wasn't working.

Yeah, especially the front ones are notorious for not working with some USB devices.

Related to USB Details as shown by Device Manager?

1. What is the purpose of the USB Details shown in Device Manager?

The USB Details shown in Device Manager provide information about the USB devices connected to your computer. This includes the type of USB port, manufacturer, and driver details.

2. How do I access the USB Details in Device Manager?

To access the USB Details in Device Manager, first open the Start menu and type "device manager" into the search bar. Then, click on the Device Manager icon that appears. In Device Manager, expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section to view the USB Details.

3. Why is it important to check the USB Details in Device Manager?

Checking the USB Details in Device Manager can help troubleshoot any issues with your USB devices. It can also provide information about the driver version and compatibility, which can be useful when updating or replacing USB devices.

4. How can I update the USB Details in Device Manager?

To update the USB Details in Device Manager, right-click on the USB device and select "Update driver." You can then choose to search for updated drivers automatically or browse your computer for driver software.

5. What should I do if the USB Details in Device Manager show errors?

If the USB Details in Device Manager show errors, it could indicate an issue with the USB device or driver. You can try updating the driver, unplugging and reconnecting the device, or restarting your computer. If the issue persists, you may need to troubleshoot or replace the USB device.