USB Communication: PIC Processor, Capture Software & Standards

In summary, the speaker is building a CCD camera from scratch and is currently facing a potential challenge with programming and communication with the computer. They are using a PIC processor and have a friend helping with the capture software. They are looking for recommendations on books and resources to help them achieve industry standards for the system. The conversation also mentions the use of Microchip's PICs with built-in USB and the possibility of using a mass storage interface. Another speaker shares their experience working on a CCD camera using Firewire but suggests using USB II instead. They also mention using an embedded processor with a USB interface from Cypress or Analog Devices. However, their information may be outdated as technology in this field evolves quickly.
Kawakaze
I am making a CCD camera from scratch and all seems to be going pretty swimmingly. However, my programming skills are very basic and the communication with the computer is set to be my next stumbling block. The camera will be controlled via a PIC processor, I have a friend who is writing some capture software. Can anyone point me to some good books on this topic. I am very keen to make the system to industry standards, i.e. reading out in common format, using standard commands to communicate with the camera.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thankfully you are not planning to build the entire controller and interface from scratch...

Microchip has a buncha PICs with built in USB, for instance, I use the 18F2455. Their demo code is just about indecipherable, but I have managed to get it to emulate serial comm. You are more likely to want to do a mass storage interface, which looked fairly daunting but should be do-able. Look here:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1486&redirects=USB

I worked on a CCD camera for mounting onto the M16. We used Firewire at the time. But using USB II is better as Firewire is pretty much dead. We did not use PIC, but we used embedded processor using 8051 core with USB interface by Cypress and Analog Devices. Go onto their site and look for one that suit your needs and download the data sheet and app. Notes. We learn from those without having a textbook.

But my info is 6 years old, so I don't know anything newer. These kind of stuff evolve very fast.

Related to USB Communication: PIC Processor, Capture Software & Standards

What is USB communication?

USB communication refers to the use of a Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface to transfer data between electronic devices. This allows for a standardized and convenient method of connecting devices and exchanging information.

How does a PIC processor work in USB communication?

A PIC (Peripheral Interface Controller) processor is a type of microcontroller that is commonly used in USB communication. It handles the data transfer between the USB device and the computer, and also performs other tasks such as data formatting and error checking.

What is capture software in USB communication?

Capture software is a program that is used to record and analyze data from a USB device. It allows for the monitoring and manipulation of data being transferred through the USB interface, and is often used for debugging and testing purposes.

What are some common USB communication standards?

Some common USB communication standards include USB 1.1, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0. These standards dictate the maximum data transfer speeds and other specifications for USB devices, and are important for ensuring compatibility between devices.

How is USB communication used in scientific research?

USB communication is used in scientific research for a variety of purposes, such as connecting data collection devices to computers, transferring data between different lab equipment, and controlling experiments through computer software. It allows for efficient and standardized data exchange, making it an essential tool in many scientific fields.