Is the Bushco helping terrorist, making the US less safe

• News
  • Thread starter amp
  • Start date
In summary, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has reported that some Iraqi nuclear facilities are unguarded and radioactive materials have been taken out of the country. The United States has refused to allow the IAEA or other UN weapons inspectors into the country. Satellite imagery shows that equipment and buildings have been removed from monitored sites, and large quantities of contaminated scrap have been transferred out of Iraq. This raises concerns about the potential for terrorists to obtain nuclear materials. The Bush administration's reason for going to war was to prevent Iraq from selling nuclear materials to terrorists, but now it appears that they can obtain them for free. Additionally, there are concerns about the safety of civilians and the possibility of terrorists using the materials to finance the insurgency. Despite these
amp
and by extension the rest of the world?

See here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&e=5&u=/ap/20040415/ap_on_re_mi_ea/un_iraq_nuclear

Why aren't US forces securing these facilities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amazing.
"The United States has refused to allow the IAEA or other U.N. weapons inspectors into the country (Iraq)".
What's the game ...?

Ain't that what Bushco accussed the Saddam regime of doing? Hmmm, I hate to think there is substance to ths report. If WMDs are 'Found' and it gets revealed that they were planted, there should be impeachment hearings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15952-2004Apr15.html
Meanwhile, Bush, in his news conference Tuesday, showed he was ready to raise the level of his play in this arena.

Bush found a way to make not one, not two, but three factual errors in a single 15-word sentence, which must be something of a world indoor record. Bush said it is still possible that inspectors will find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"They could still be there. They could be hidden, like the 50 tons of mustard gas in a turkey farm," he said, referring to Libya's WMD disclosures last month.

The White House, according to Reuters, said the accurate figure was 23.6 metric tons or 26 tons, not 50. The stuff was found at various locations, not at a turkey farm. And there was no mustard gas on the farm at all, but unfilled chemical munitions.

Other than that, the sentence was spot on.

-----
It's not over yet ...

pelastration said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15952-2004Apr15.html
Meanwhile, Bush, in his news conference Tuesday, showed he was ready to raise the level of his play in this arena.

Bush found a way to make not one, not two, but three factual errors in a single 15-word sentence, which must be something of a world indoor record. Bush said it is still possible that inspectors will find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"They could still be there. They could be hidden, like the 50 tons of mustard gas in a turkey farm," he said, referring to Libya's WMD disclosures last month.

The White House, according to Reuters, said the accurate figure was 23.6 metric tons or 26 tons, not 50. The stuff was found at various locations, not at a turkey farm. And there was no mustard gas on the farm at all, but unfilled chemical munitions.

Other than that, the sentence was spot on.

-----
It's not over yet ...

"Spot on", except the whole thing was a lie? Typical.

Probe Casts Doubt on Iraq Nuclear Security
Thu Apr 15, 6:51 PM ET

UNITED NATIONS - Some Iraqi nuclear facilities appear to be unguarded, and radioactive materials are being taken out of the country, the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency reported after reviewing satellite images and equipment that has turned up in European scrapyards.
The International Atomic Energy Agency sent a letter to U.S. officials three weeks ago informing them of the findings. The information was also sent to the U.N. Security Council in a letter from its director, Mohamed ElBaradei, that was circulated Thursday.

The IAEA is waiting for a reply from the United States, which is leading the coalition administering Iraq (news - web sites), officials said.

The United Sattes has virtually cut off information-sharing with the IAEA since invading Iraq in March 2003 on the premise that the country was hiding weapons of mass destruction.

No such weapons have been found, and arms control officials now worry the war and its chaotic aftermath may have increased chances that terrorists could get their hands on materials used for unconventional weapons or that civilians may be unknowingly exposed to radioactive materials.

According to ElBaradei's letter, satellite imagery shows "extensive removal of equipment and in some instances, removal of entire buildings," in Iraq.

In addition, "large quanitities of scrap, some of it contaminated, have been transferred out of Iraq from sites" previously monitored by the IAEA.

In January, the IAEA confirmed that Iraq was the likely source of radioactive material known as yellowcake that was found in a shipment of scrap metal at Rotterdam harbor.

Yellowcake, or uranium oxide, could be used to build a nuclear weapon, although it would take tons of the substance refined with sophisticated technology to harvest enough uranium for a single bomb.

The yellowcake in the shipment was natural uranium ore which probably came from a known mine in Iraq that was active before the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites).

The yellowcake was uncovered Dec. 16 by Rotterdam-based scrap metal company Jewometaal, which had received it in a shipment of scrap metal from a dealer in Jordan.

A small number of Iraqi missile engines have also turned up in European ports, IAEA officials said.

"It is not clear whether the removal of these items has been the result of looting activities in the aftermath of the recent war in Iraq or as part of systematic efforts to rehabilitate some of their locations," ElBaradei wrote to the council.

The IAEA has been unable to investigate, monitor or protect Iraqi nuclear materials since the U.S. invaded the country in March 2003. The United States has refused to allow the IAEA or other U.N. weapons inspectors into the country, claiming that the coalition has taken over responsibility for illict weapons searches.

So far those searches have come up empty-handed and the CIA (news - web sites)'s first chief weapons hunter has said he no longer believes Iraq had weapons just prior to the invasion.
Yikes. Terrorists (or guerilla fighters whatever you want to call it) selling yellow cake to terrorists to finance the insurgency. F U B A R.

Yeah, So, how much safer are we now? The Bush admin said they were afraid of Iraq selling nuclear materials to terrorist which was a reasoning for the war. Now, they (the terrorists) can get it free!

Don't worry, the democrats have assured us that Iraq doesn't have any materials that are a threat to anyone. Plus, after the election, the democrats are going to negotiate with the terrorists so that they are not angry anymore. I think the Australians are going to help too.

Really? Assured us YOU say, can you provide any factual support for your opinion? LOL Are you one of the guys I once asserted Russto be?

amp said:
Really? Assured us YOU say, can you provide any factual support for your opinion? LOL Are you one of the guys I once asserted Russto be?

Yes, here is your factual support:
Sen. Kennedy has stated on numerous occasions that Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction, and was not a threat to anyone. I am sure you are aware of Mr. Kennedy's reputation.

Am I one of the guys that you once asserted Russ to be? I don't know. What did you assert him to be?

Last edited:
You know via conspiracy theory reasoning I half-jokingly reffered to him as a plant by the powers that be to disrupt political discourse on these boards (not only PH). Sen. K. appears to be right they didn't have WMDs but it was not denied I think that they had nuclear materials of the non-fissile type which I'm sure you know terrorist are just as eager to get their hands on, Saddam would have been a laughing stock if he imagined he could attact the U.S. with that kind of stuff. But it suits terrorist fine. :biggrin:

amp said:
Sen. K. appears to be right they didn't have WMDs

Senator John "flying squirrel" Kerry said on several occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, but that was before he was a candidate. When he decided to run for president, they evaporated. This is the kind of "flexibility" that I like to see in a politician.

And...? , Bushco had apparently semi-convinced many on Capitol Hill that Iraq had WMDs, furthermore, at that time (just after 9/11) (( I assume that's the time slot you'er referring to)) Bushco had polarized the the debate into YOU are FOR US or AGAINST US. If you were not on the boat you were labeled non-patriotic. Even you were fooled into thinking the WMDs were there.

So you're saying that the self proclaimed war criminal John Kerry is gullible, so it's not his fault? What is he, Forrest Gump?

Oh, your trying Kats tactic. Njorl answered that accusation. So, you admit the lies Bushco told had you going along with the rest.

I really can't tell if hughes johnson is a leftist satirizing the far right or an actual far right person.

amp said:
Oh, your trying Kats tactic. Njorl answered that accusation. So, you admit the lies Bushco told had you going along with the rest.

The only lies that I've heard so far are from the self admitted war criminal John Kerry.

RageSk8 said:
He is either brilliant or delusional...

LOL, they're not mutually exclusive. Since I'm such a nice guy I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you.

I wonder what backups the Bush admin has in place to secure these probable sites. It appears that if there are reports of nuclear material then the location of the placement of such material should be known.

On topic, please?

1. Is there evidence that the Bush administration has supported or aided terrorist groups?

There is no evidence to suggest that the Bush administration actively supported or aided terrorist groups. However, some argue that their foreign policies and actions may have inadvertently contributed to the growth and radicalization of terrorist organizations.

2. How has the Bush administration's actions affected the safety of the US?

The impact of the Bush administration's actions on the safety of the US is a highly debated topic. Some argue that their policies, such as the invasion of Iraq, have made the US more vulnerable to terrorist attacks. Others argue that their efforts have successfully prevented future attacks on US soil.

3. Did the Bush administration's policies make the US less safe in the long run?

It is difficult to determine the long-term effects of the Bush administration's policies on the safety of the US. Some argue that their actions have perpetuated a cycle of violence and hatred that could potentially make the US less safe in the future. Others argue that their efforts have made the US safer by disrupting terrorist networks and removing potential threats.

4. Have there been any instances where the Bush administration's actions directly aided terrorist groups?

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that the Bush administration intentionally aided terrorist groups. However, there have been instances where their actions, such as the invasion of Iraq, have been used as propaganda by terrorist organizations to recruit new members and justify their attacks.

5. How have other countries perceived the Bush administration's handling of terrorism?

The perception of the Bush administration's handling of terrorism varies among different countries. Some view their actions as necessary for national security, while others criticize their policies as contributing to global instability and increased anti-American sentiments.