Polchinski Excercise Question - delta function

In summary: Originally posted by selfAdjoint Put an integral sign around both sides, and then its well defined, and all mathematicians may rest easy!Yeah, and the operator product expansion is an "operator" equation. Only meaningful up to expectation. Abus de langage. You just have to get used to it.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I am going again over Polchinski's excercises, trying to work them and using http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~headrick/polchinski.html when I get stuck. In problem 2.1, P. wants us to show that
[tex]\partial \bar{\partial} ln \vert z \vert^2 = 2 \pi \delta^2(z,\bar{z}) [/tex]

and Headrick, introducing a test function f(z) under the integral sign,
[tex] \int_R d^2z \partial \bar{\partial} ln \vert z \vert^2 f(z) [/tex]

eventually gets
[tex] \partial \bar{\partial} ln \vert z \vert^2 = 2 \pi f(0) [/tex]

Can anybody spell out for me how this arbitrary f(o) is the delta function?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by selfAdjoint

Can anybody spell out for me how this arbitrary f(o) is the delta function?
the defining characteristic of the delta function is exactly this property you show above:

namely
[tex]\int\delta(x)f(x)=f(0)[/tex]

any function(al) for which this is satisfied for an arbitrary f is the (unique) delta function

so f(0) isn't the delta function, it is the result of integration with a delta function

Thanks lethe. You notice the answer is a squared delta function, but Headrick's test function isn't (explicitly) squared. How does that work?

Thanks lethe. You notice the answer is a squared delta function, but Headrick's test function isn't (explicitly) squared. How does that work?

i think that 2 in the exponent just indicates that you integrate over z and z*. it's a two dimensional delta function

Originally posted by lethe
i think that 2 in the exponent just indicates that you integrate over z and z*. it's a two dimensional delta function

just like we write the 3 dimensional dirac delta

[tex]\delta^3(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

in other words, just because the delta function is squared, it doesn't mean the function gets squared. for example, we have:

[tex]\int\delta^3(\mathbf{r})f(\mathbf{r})d^3\mathbf{r} = \int\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)f(x,y,z)dx\ dy\ dz=f(0,0,0)[/tex]

OK, I think. So in this two dimensional case, we know the delta gets squared because of the double integration of the double derivative. But it still just picks out f(0) from the test function. Have I got that right?

Afterthought: Would it be a general method to test any expression with a delta in it by putting it under an appropriate integral with a test function and seeing if it picks out the appropriate value of the function? I never had any course work in deltas so I'm kind of flying blind here.

Last edited:
OK, I think. So in this two dimensional case, we know the delta gets squared because of the double integration of the double derivative. But it still just picks out f(0) from the test function. Have I got that right?
yes. i am thinking of the function as a function of z and z*, except that the functional dependence of a holomorphic on z* is trivial, so that factor of the delta function integrates away trivially.

Afterthought: Would it be a general method to test any expression with a delta in it by putting it under an appropriate integral with a test function and seeing if it picks out the appropriate value of the function? I never had any course work in deltas so I'm kind of flying blind here.

yes: by definition, two expressions with delta functions in them are defined to be equal if, when you integrate them, you pick out the appropriate values.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Lethe. I am clear on that. This excercise turns out to be a key step in proving that the normal ordered product is a harmonic function, which is in turn key to developing the OPE for the [tex]X^{\mu}[/tex] physics.

Btw, it drives me nuts how physicists insist on using the above eqn (the first one from SA).

A bare operator valued distribution function ! Horror!

Put an integral sign around both sides, and then its well defined, and all mathematicians may rest easy!

Yeah, and the operator product expansion is an "operator" equation. Only meaningful up to expectation. Abus de langage. You just have to get used to it.

1. What is the "Polchinski Excercise Question - delta function"?

The "Polchinski Excercise Question - delta function" is a mathematical exercise created by physicist Joseph Polchinski to help students understand the concept of the delta function, a mathematical tool used to represent a point or spike in a function.

2. How is the delta function used in physics?

The delta function is commonly used in physics to represent point charges, point masses, and other point-like objects in mathematical equations. It is also used to describe impulse functions, which represent sudden changes in a system.

3. What is the mathematical representation of the delta function?

The delta function is represented by the symbol δ(x) and is defined as a function that is equal to 0 for all values of x, except at x=0 where it is equal to infinity. It has the property that the integral of δ(x) over a certain range of x is equal to 1.

4. How is the delta function related to the Dirac delta function?

The delta function is closely related to the Dirac delta function, which is a generalized function used in mathematical analysis. The Dirac delta function is defined as a function that is equal to 0 for all values of x, except at x=0 where it is undefined. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent point sources and point masses.

5. How can the delta function be visualized?

The delta function is a mathematical concept and cannot be visualized in the traditional sense. However, it can be thought of as a spike or impulse at a specific point on a graph. It is also often represented graphically as a tall and narrow peak centered at x=0.