US Visa issues for science students/scholars

In summary, the article advises international students and scholars to be aware of the difficulties in obtaining entry visas to the US, particularly in the field of physics. This is due to the State Department's Technological Alert List, which can result in delays of 2-4 weeks for visa approvals, and the US National Academy of Sciences keeping track of applicants with delayed visas. It is recommended to apply for visas at least 6 months in advance and to keep backup plans in case of delays. The article also mentions that these difficulties may be more severe for citizens of certain "sensitive" countries. The author also advises readers to regularly check the State Department and relevant embassy websites for updated information. Additionally, the article notes that the decline in foreign students
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It is not a secret that US schools, institutions, and industries have always tried to attract the best and brightest students, scholars, and scientists from all over the world. In fact, the ability to continuously attract such persons plays a vital role in the prestigue of many institutions. In physics alone, for example, slightly more than half of the graduate student population in US universities are international students.

However, these numbers a slowly declining after 9/11. The major reason attributed to this decline is the increasing and lengthy problems in obtaining an entry visa into the US to either study, or work. While the problem currently isn't as severe as it was the first two years after 9/11, there are still cases where students and scholars did not receive visas on time to attend classes or conferences.

If you intend to study in the US, or pursue your postdoctoral work here, I strongly recommend you read the article in this month's issue of Physics Today.

http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-58/iss-2/p49.html

Pay attention to two particular points:

1. Most fields of physics appear on the State Department's Technological Alert List. What this means is that if you are going to be, or already majoring, in physics in a particular field, the nature of your research will require that you undergo a "visa mantis". This is roughly a review of that field and whether it is "appropriate" for you to be doing it. This applies especially to postdoctoral scholars, since you are now considered to be an expert in that field of study. So there is a good chance that your application for an entry visa will NOT be approved of immediately (expect a 2 to 4 week delay).

2. The US National Academy of Sciences is keeping track of those who, for some reason, have their visa delayed for more than a month. Take note of the link given in that article where, if you are in this predicament, you should fill out that questionnaire. While this does not guarantee that you visa will be approved, at the very least, it will make sure that your application isn't lost or ignored.

The best advice out of all this is to apply as early as possible. If you are applying for a new entry visa, start 6 months ahead of time, and certainly as soon as you have received the appropriate visa from the relevant institution. If you leave the US for a vacation or any other reason with an expired entry visa, make backup plans if you are delayed (plan on a delay of 2 to 4 weeks after your initial application). Things are improving, but they're improving slowly.

Now, all of the above may or may not apply to those who are citizens of what the State Department categorize as "sensitive" countries. If you are from China, India, Russia, etc., expect even longer delays and possible additional background checks.

Consider the above as an unofficial advice. You should always check the State Department's website, and the relevant US embassy's website on the exact info at any given time, since these things are continually in flux.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good advice Zz. Also, for those already in the US, their international student offices should be keeping them informed, but if not, the rules have changed recently regarding J1 and H1 visas, which I think affects primarily postdocs studying in the US. Check up on those if you are here on visa status with a J1 or H1.

ZapperZ said:
However, these numbers a slowly declining after 9/11. The major reason attributed to this decline is the increasing and lengthy problems in obtaining an entry visa into the US to either study, or work.

This isn't entirely true. The famous "braindrain" to the US lowers because of other reasons too. Many other countries (certainly in western europe, india, china) are manifesting themselves on a higher level when it comes to scientific work, results and publications. For example one of the founders of stamcell therapy (i don't recall her name but she is from Belgium) just left the US a few weeks ago after 20 years of research there. The reason being the fact that here in Belgium, a new centre for such research has been founded. This is just an example, but many others follow this lead : IMEC, being one of them...

regards
marlon

marlon said:
This isn't entirely true. The famous "braindrain" to the US lowers because of other reasons too.

Notice that I didn't say it is the ONLY reason.

However, when you look at the statistics from the AIP site, it is very clear that the decline in the number of foreign students in the sciences and engineering coincides with 9/11. Students from China, which sends the largest number of foreign students to the US, declined significantly after 9/11 because of the increasing difficulties for chinese students to get entry visa in a timely manner.

This view is shared by many educational institutions here per the relevant statistics. So I didn't just come up with such a conclusion out of thin air.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This view is shared by many educational institutions here per the relevant statistics. So I didn't just come up with such a conclusion out of thin air.

Zz.
I am certainly not denying those statistics. However, i just wanted to add the fact that the braindrain is definitely slowing down for several reasons.

marlon

marlon said:
I am certainly not denying those statistics. However, i just wanted to add the fact that the braindrain is definitely slowing down for several reasons.

marlon

So then which part of what I said "isn't entirely true"? I said that the major reason (I didn't say this is the only reason) for the decline was the irrationally tougher visa process. If you do not deny the AIP statistics, do you disagree with my statement above?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So then which part of what I said "isn't entirely true"? I said that the major reason (I didn't say this is the only reason) for the decline was the irrationally tougher visa process. If you do not deny the AIP statistics, do you disagree with my statement above?

Zz.

Again, i just wanted to add other reasons why the braindrain toward the US is slowing down. I do not deny the fact that 911 may be the primary reason. If you say so according to AIP-statistics (however : i have not seen them) then i can only agree with such a statement.

What i meant with "isn't entirely true" was the fact that other reasons are gaining importance towards this evolution. Indeed, you did not say 911 was the only reason, however you also did not give any OTHER reason. I do not disagree with the content of your first post...

regards
marlon

Related to US Visa issues for science students/scholars

1. What type of visa should I apply for as a science student/scholar?

As a science student/scholar, you should apply for an F-1 visa if you are pursuing a degree program in the United States. If you are participating in a research project or teaching at a university, you should apply for a J-1 visa. These visa types allow for academic studies and research activities in the US.

2. Can I work while on a student/scholar visa in the US?

Yes, you are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week while on an F-1 or J-1 visa. You may also be eligible for off-campus employment through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program or the Academic Training (AT) program. However, these opportunities are limited and require approval from your designated school official (DSO) or program sponsor.

3. How long can I stay in the US on a student/scholar visa?

The duration of stay on an F-1 or J-1 visa depends on your program. For F-1 students, you are allowed to stay for the duration of your academic program, plus an additional 60 days to prepare for departure. For J-1 students/scholars, the duration of stay is determined by your program sponsor and can vary depending on your program objectives.

4. Can I travel outside of the US while on a student/scholar visa?

Yes, you are allowed to travel outside of the US while on a student/scholar visa. However, it is important to have all necessary documents such as a valid passport, visa, and travel signature from your DSO or program sponsor. Additionally, if you plan to travel to certain countries, you may need to obtain a travel visa from that country's embassy or consulate.

5. Can I bring my family members with me on a student/scholar visa?

Your immediate family members (spouse and unmarried children under 21) may be eligible to accompany you to the US on an F-2 or J-2 visa. They will need to apply for their own visas and provide proof of their relationship to you. However, they are not allowed to work while in the US and must maintain their own valid visas throughout their stay.