US Postal Service begins shipping free COVID tests

In summary, American users of the forum can visit covidtests.gov to order free at-home rapid antigen tests through the U.S. Postal Service. The website was originally scheduled to launch on Wednesday, but is currently in beta testing and will officially launch on Thursday. Each household order will receive four rapid tests, shipping for free in late January. While the tests may not arrive in time to make an impact on the current Omicron wave, they will still be useful for future use. Some users have already successfully placed their orders.
Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just an FYI to the American users of the forum: you can go to covidtests.gov to order free at-home rapid antigen tests.

The U.S. Postal Service has begun taking orders for free at-home Coronavirus test kits.

The website COVIDtests.gov was originally slated to begin taking orders on Wednesday. White House press secretary Jen Psaki says the site is in the "beta testing" stage and "will be launched formally tomorrow morning [Wednesday]."

Each household order will contain four rapid tests, which the Postal Service says will be shipped for free "in late January."
(source: NPR)

Unfortunately, the tests will likely arrive after the peak of the Omicron wave (or at least I hope Omicron is on the decline by the time the tests start arriving), so they may not make much of an impact on the current wave, but they should still be very useful for everyone going forward.

• Informative
Likes Fervent Freyja, BillTre and Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
The site was actually taking orders yesterday and my wife ordered them.

Likes russ_watters
I just ordered mine right before making this post :)

Likes Fervent Freyja
I placed an order, thanks!

Likes Ygggdrasil

Related to US Postal Service begins shipping free COVID tests

What is the US Postal Service's role in shipping free COVID tests?

The US Postal Service has partnered with the federal government to provide free shipping of COVID tests to all US residents. This means that individuals can order a free COVID test kit online and have it delivered to their home by the USPS at no cost.

Who is eligible to receive these free COVID tests?

All US residents are eligible to receive these free COVID tests. There are no restrictions based on age, location, or income. The goal is to make testing accessible and convenient for everyone.

How do I order a free COVID test kit for shipping?

You can order a free COVID test kit by visiting the official website for the program, www.usps.com/covidtest. From there, you will be asked to provide your name, address, and email. Once you submit your request, a test kit will be shipped to your door within 7-10 days.

Are these tests reliable and accurate?

Yes, these COVID tests are FDA-approved and have been proven to be reliable and accurate in detecting the virus. They use a nasal swab sample and are processed in a certified lab. However, it is important to follow the instructions for use carefully to ensure the most accurate results.

Is there a limit to how many free COVID tests I can order?

Currently, there is no limit to how many free COVID tests an individual can order. However, it is recommended to only order what is needed to ensure that there are enough tests available for everyone who needs one. The USPS is constantly working to increase their supply and capacity for shipping these tests.

Back