Urgent: Help Needed on Ampere's Law Probolem (Totally Lost)

In summary, the inner cylinder with radius "a" in a steady current of "I" between two parallel cylinders of radii "a" and "b" and an axial separation of "c" has a constant magnetic field. This can be shown using Ampere's Law and the fact that i(t) is constant.
Merrank
The question is:

Between two long parallel cylinders of radius "a" and "b" (non-coaxial) and an axal separation of "c", a steady current of "I" flows. (See attachment below) Show that the inner cylinder (radius "a") has a constant magnetic field. Use Ampere's Law. [Hint: 0 = 1 + (-1)]

Could someone please show me step by step how to do this, I am completely lost.

Thank You

Attachments

• Amperes Law Problem.bmp
    53 KB · Views: 508
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is interesting, I would suspect the simple fact that i(t) is constant would tell us that H(x,y,z,t) is also constant... wouldn't this fact come from using amperes law to show that the H field around the wire is simply

[tex]H=\frac{\mu_0i(t)}{2{\pi}R}[/tex] ?

And btw try not to double post :D

Related to Urgent: Help Needed on Ampere's Law Probolem (Totally Lost)

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop.

2. How do I apply Ampere's Law to a problem?

To apply Ampere's Law, you need to first identify the closed loop that you will be using. This could be a circular loop, a rectangular loop, or any other shape. Then, you need to determine the direction of the current passing through the loop. Finally, you can use the formula B = μ₀I/2πr to calculate the magnetic field at a certain point on the loop.

3. What are some common mistakes when using Ampere's Law?

One common mistake when using Ampere's Law is not correctly identifying the closed loop or the direction of the current. Another mistake is not using the correct units for the variables in the formula. It is important to double check all variables and units to ensure an accurate solution.

4. Can Ampere's Law be used for any shape of loop?

Yes, Ampere's Law can be used for any shape of loop as long as it is a closed loop. This means that the starting point and ending point of the loop must meet and there can be no gaps or breaks in the loop.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has many real-world applications, including in the design of electrical circuits, the construction of electromagnets, and in medical imaging technology such as MRI machines. It is also used in understanding the behavior of Earth's magnetic field and the interactions between electric currents and magnetic fields in space.