Uranus' closest approach to earth and its interval

In summary, the closest possible approach for Uranus and Earth is in the order of 100000 years, and it would require integrating the apsides Uranus and Earth.
BOAS
Hello,

I am looking for a website that contains information such as the interval between Earth and uranus' closest approach. I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to calculate this.

I am at a loss where to start though...

Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I suspect that you will have to integrate the apsides Uranus and Earth.

Depends on how accurate you want to be.

Do you want to know the interval between the time Uranus is in opposition(which would be close to a year)?
Do you want to take into account Uranus' rather siginificant orbital eccentricity(that'll come out to something close to 84 years)?
Or, maybe you want to know the closest possible approach(within some error bars), taking into account both planets' eccentricities? Then you'd have to include apsidal precession, and the result would be in the order of 100000 years.

All the calculations are similar to that of calculating the interval between when two hands of a clock meet.

What's the level of precision you're looking for?

Bandersnatch said:
Depends on how accurate you want to be.

Do you want to know the interval between the time Uranus is in opposition(which would be close to a year)?
Do you want to take into account Uranus' rather siginificant orbital eccentricity(that'll come out to something close to 84 years)?
Or, maybe you want to know the closest possible approach(within some error bars), taking into account both planets' eccentricities? Then you'd have to include apsidal precession, and the result would be in the order of 100000 years.

All the calculations are similar to that of calculating the interval between when two hands of a clock meet.

What's the level of precision you're looking for?
The first one - Actually, what you have said makes perfect sense. The clock hand analogy is very useful, and I think I can investigate this further, under the assumption of circular orbits.

Thanks.

BOAS said:
Hello,

I am looking for a website that contains information such as the interval between Earth and uranus' closest approach. I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to calculate this.

I am at a loss where to start though...

Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks!

Unless you're some kind of orbital genius, it's probably not recommended.

Organizations like the Jet Propulsion Laboratory keep tabs on the orbits of various bodies in the solar system by producing ephemerides (singular, ephemeris). The CPA of Uranus apparently has already occurred for this year (Oct. 7):

http://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20141007_13_100

Related to Uranus' closest approach to earth and its interval

1. What is Uranus' closest approach to Earth and how often does it occur?

Uranus' closest approach to Earth varies due to its elliptical orbit, but on average it occurs every 84 years.

2. What is the distance between Uranus and Earth during its closest approach?

The distance between Uranus and Earth during its closest approach can range from approximately 2.57 billion kilometers to 2.9 billion kilometers.

3. How does the distance between Uranus and Earth during its closest approach affect the planet's appearance?

Due to the distance, Uranus will appear as a small blue-green dot in the night sky, even with a telescope.

4. When was the most recent closest approach of Uranus to Earth?

The most recent closest approach of Uranus to Earth was in 1997 and the next one is predicted to occur in 2073.

5. Is Uranus' closest approach to Earth a good time to observe the planet's moons?

Yes, during Uranus' closest approach to Earth, its moons will also appear slightly larger and brighter, making it a good time for observation.