Upward Moving Projectiles - determining change in time

In summary, the conversation was about determining the length of time the ball will be in the air, with the use of equations and previous information. The main equation used was d = v1(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2, with additional help from the equation Vf = V0 - gt for the y-component of velocity. The conclusion was reached that the time it takes for the ball to come to a stop in midair is half of the total time the ball is in the air. The x-component of velocity was also discussed, and it was determined that there is no acceleration in this direction.
Kingfisher1
I have been asked to determine the length of time the ball will be in the air. I understand the basic concept, but the execution is tripping me up. It has been years since I have done a math course, and this is my first foray into physics, so I am a bit rusty. :)

A ball is thrown upwards at a 15 degree angle. Initial velocity is 20m/s. In a previous questions V1(vertical) was determined to be 5.2 m/s. Acceleration is of course -9.81 m/s^2.

Equation used:

d= v1(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2

d= 0
a=-9.8 m/s ^2
V1(vert)= 5.2 m/s
t= X

My efforts:

0=(5.2)t + 1/2 (-9.8)t
0= t (5.2 - 4.9)
t=0

So two issues here:
1) I am truly at a loss when re-arranging this equation, I shuffled things around but am not sure it was correct, refresh my memory please!
2) My text states that I should have two answers. I don't understand how I am to get two answers, as they do not suggest I change the equation in anyway.

Thank you for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there!

You might have more help with using $$V_{f} = V_{0} - gt$$ for the y-component of your velocity.

If you find the time it will take for your ball to come to a stop in midair, by the symmetry of the arc of its trajectory, how would this time compare to the total time to be in the air? (Try drawing the trajectory to get a better idea.)

Also, for the x component of velocity, you know that there is no acceleration in this direction (because we are assuming no air resistance) so you can merely use the definition of velocity to solve for this part, $$V = \frac{x}{t}$$

Thank you for your reply! That method is much more straightforward.
I did eventually figure out what my text was trying to lead me towards with that equation.
In case it helps other beginners:
The equation properly rearranged is t=2V1/a. Therefore t= 1.1 seconds.

Related to Upward Moving Projectiles - determining change in time

1. What is an upward moving projectile?

An upward moving projectile is an object that is thrown or launched into the air at an angle. It follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the change in time determined for an upward moving projectile?

The change in time for an upward moving projectile can be determined using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors affect the change in time for an upward moving projectile?

The change in time for an upward moving projectile is affected by the initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as the effects of air resistance and wind.

4. Can the change in time be negative for an upward moving projectile?

No, the change in time for an upward moving projectile cannot be negative. Time is always a positive quantity and represents the duration of the projectile's motion.

5. How can the change in time be used to calculate the maximum height of an upward moving projectile?

The change in time can be used, along with the initial velocity and angle of launch, to calculate the maximum height of an upward moving projectile using the formula h = (v^2sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, and θ is the angle of launch.