Upside Down Rocket: Thrust & Conversion to Newtons

• Thread starter smarthimandrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, if a model rocket is secured upside down to a scale, the display will read the weight of the rocket in kilograms. To convert this value to Newtons, you can multiply by 9.8. The model rocket engine thrust can be easily looked up and is measured in force and converted to mass using f=ma. Model rocket motors are classified by the impulse they produce, which is the force multiplied by the duration.
smarthimandrew
If I were to take a model rocket and secure it upside down to a kg scale, what would I be reading on the scale's display? I would assume it would be the thrust of the rocket but are there other factors at play here? If it is the thrust of the rocket, how would I convert the said value to Newtons?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw a free body diagram to analyze the forces on the rocket.

The trust vector is pointing down, as well as gravity: F + m*g.

EDIT: assuming you measure this on Earth and not in space

Model rocket engine thrust is published - you can just look it up. And a typical scale measures force and converts to mass by assuming you are on the surface of the Earth and applying f=ma. So it is easy enough to convert back.

Put rocket on scale pointing downwards.
The display will read the weight of the rocket in Kg.
Press the reset button on the scales so they read zero.
Light the rocket and the scales will read the thrust in Kg.
To convert to Newtons multiply by 9.8.

Edit:

I'm not an expert but model rocket motors are classified by the impulse they produce. The impulse is the force * duration.

So for example a Class B that is rated 5.00 N·s might produce..

5N for 1 Second
2.5N for 2 Seconds
1N for 5 Seconds
etc

They would all be Class B I believe.

I've yet to find a model shop that will sell me a 6Z class motor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_rocket_motor_classification

Last edited:

I can confirm that the reading on the scale's display would indeed be the thrust of the rocket. However, there are other factors at play that may affect the reading, such as air resistance and the weight of the rocket itself.

To convert the thrust value to Newtons, you would need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force (thrust), m is the mass of the rocket, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

Once you have the mass and acceleration values, you can simply multiply them together to get the thrust in Newtons. It is important to note that the mass should be in kilograms and the acceleration should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2) to ensure the correct unit conversion.

In summary, securing an upside down model rocket to a kg scale would provide a reading of the rocket's thrust, and this value can be converted to Newtons using the formula F=ma. Other factors may affect the reading, but this conversion will provide an accurate measurement of the rocket's thrust force.

Related to Upside Down Rocket: Thrust & Conversion to Newtons

1. What is an upside down rocket?

An upside down rocket is a type of rocket that is designed to launch with its engines facing downwards instead of upwards. This type of rocket is used for certain types of missions, such as launching satellites into polar orbits.

2. How does an upside down rocket produce thrust?

An upside down rocket produces thrust by expelling hot gases out of its engines at high speeds. These gases push against the ground, generating an equal and opposite reaction that lifts the rocket off the launchpad.

3. How is thrust measured in an upside down rocket?

Thrust in an upside down rocket is measured in Newtons, which is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI). A Newton is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. What factors affect the conversion of thrust to Newtons in an upside down rocket?

The conversion of thrust to Newtons in an upside down rocket is affected by several factors, including the design and efficiency of the rocket's engines, the mass of the rocket, and the force of gravity acting on the rocket.

5. How does an upside down rocket maintain stability during launch?

During launch, an upside down rocket maintains stability through the use of fins, which help to keep the rocket pointed in the desired direction. The rocket's control system also plays a crucial role in maintaining stability by making adjustments to the rocket's trajectory and orientation.