Upright Washing Machine - Why no shaking during final spin cycle?

In summary, the fast spin of the washing machine causes the clothes to stick to the drum and distribute themselves evenly.
sir_manning
Hello all

As anyone with a front-loading washing machine knows, watching them in action can be great entertainment. Well, I was bored tonight and did just that. During the final spin cycle, the drum spins really, really fast (not too sure how many rpm) to wring most of the water out of the clothes. Magically, the wet clothes seemed to plaster themselves evenly around the drum so that axis of rotation was in line with the center of mass. If this hadn't been so, the drum would have caused some serious vibrations when it got up to speed.

So my question is, what is the process that causes the clothes to distribute evenly around the drum?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know a definitive answer, but could it just be that the sheer amount of water wrung out of the clothes means that small differences in distribution don't throw the axis off so much as when they're soaking wet?

Yeah that may be... but even dry clothes have a pretty good weight to them.

I guess this questions isn't limited to front-loading washing machines as upright ones have a fast final spin-down cycle as well. Come to think of it, clothes become evenly distributed around the upright washing machine drums as well.

After thinking about this a little more, perhaps it isn't so amazing. As long as the clothes can separate themselves with relative ease, the force they experience due to the acceleration of the drum going up to speed would probably be enough to separate any large clumps.

Front loading machines spin at upto 1600RPM. If you get something like a duvet cover, with clothes trapped inside, or sleeping bag at one side they will shake violently.
They switch spin directions as they pump the water out to try and distribute the load evenly and have safety trips that shut them down if the forces get too high.

I once worked on a project to develop an active suspension to try and make them quieter but we didn't get anywhere - the 20kg lump of concrete in the base still works best.

Related to Upright Washing Machine - Why no shaking during final spin cycle?

1. Why does my upright washing machine not shake during the final spin cycle?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One possibility is that the machine is properly balanced, which prevents shaking during the spin cycle. Another reason could be that the machine is equipped with a suspension system that helps to reduce vibrations. Additionally, some washing machines have sensors that can detect when the load is unbalanced and adjust accordingly to prevent shaking.

2. Is it normal for my upright washing machine to not shake during the final spin cycle?

Yes, it is normal for modern washing machines to have features that reduce or eliminate shaking during the final spin cycle. This is to prevent damage to both the machine and the load, as well as to improve the overall washing experience.

3. Can I make my upright washing machine shake during the final spin cycle?

While it is not recommended to intentionally make your washing machine shake during the final spin cycle, some machines may still shake slightly depending on the load size, type of load, and machine settings. However, excessive shaking can be a sign of an unbalanced load or an issue with the machine.

4. Will my clothes still get clean if my upright washing machine doesn't shake during the final spin cycle?

Yes, your clothes should still get clean even if the machine does not shake during the final spin cycle. The shaking motion is primarily used to remove excess water from the load, but the washing and rinsing cycles are what actually clean the clothes.

5. Can a lack of shaking during the final spin cycle be a sign of a problem with my upright washing machine?

In most cases, a lack of shaking during the final spin cycle is not indicative of a problem with the machine. However, if your machine suddenly stops shaking during the spin cycle or starts shaking excessively, it could be a sign of an issue that needs to be addressed, such as an unbalanced load, worn suspension system, or malfunctioning sensor.