Finding the Ratio of Areas in a Circle Arrangement

• Thread starter Itachi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation is discussing the arrangement of circles inside a larger circle. The ratio of the areas of the small circles to the large circle is about 0.28 and involves the centers of the small circles forming a regular octagon. The speaker suggests using a simple image to show the arrangement of the circles and questions if it is possible for 8 circles to be arranged in this way.
Itachi
clear post

...........clear post...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
How are the circles inside arranged?

cookiemonster

For one particular arrangement, the answer will be about 0.28. This involves the centers of the little circles forming a regular octagon.

Actually this is sin(Pi/8) / [ 1 + sin(Pi/8) ]

And which ratio are you looking for? The ratio of the areas or the ratio of the radii or diameters?

cookiemonster

Itachi said:
the area of one small circle to the large circle
I think, if you know that:

...its like one small circle and 7 small circles around that. The large circle will have a diameter of 3 smaller circles...

then you should be able to find the answer easily. If you have the ratio of diameters, surely you can find the ratio of the areas. However, are you sure this is true? Can 8 circles be arranged in such a way? Perhaps you can make a simple .bmp image and attach it to show how exactly the circles should be touching.

1. What is a geometry problem?

A geometry problem is a question or puzzle that involves using mathematical concepts and principles to find an unknown angle, side length, or shape in a given situation or scenario.

2. How can I solve a geometry problem?

To solve a geometry problem, you need to identify the given information and use the appropriate formulas or theorems to find the missing information. It is also important to draw accurate diagrams and label all given information before attempting to solve the problem.

3. What are some common strategies for solving geometry problems?

Some common strategies for solving geometry problems include using the Pythagorean theorem, the properties of angles and triangles, and the rules of congruency and similarity. It is also helpful to use visualization and logical reasoning to approach the problem.

4. How can I check if my solution to a geometry problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a geometry problem is correct, you can use a calculator or other tools to verify your calculations. You can also re-read the problem and check if your solution makes sense in the given context.

5. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your geometry problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. You can also try solving problems from different sources, such as textbooks, online resources, or real-life scenarios. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles in geometry, rather than just memorizing formulas.