Upper bound and supremum problem

In summary: A) definition for both x and y? 2. Could you state the contradiction again? 3. I was wondering if you have any pointers on the notation and/or formatting of the proof in general.Thank you very much!In summary, the claim states that if A is a non-empty subset of R+ which is bounded above, and B is defined as the set of all squares of elements in A, then the supremum of B is equal to the square of the supremum of A. This can be proven by showing that for any given epsilon, there exists an element in B that is greater than the square of the supremum of A minus that epsilon. This is done by using the definition of
i_hate_math
Claim: Let A be a non-empty subset of R+ = {x ∈ R : x > 0} which is bounded above, and let B = {x2 : x ∈ A}. Then sup(B) = sup(A)2.

a. Prove the claim.
b. Does the claim still hold if we replace R+ with R? Explain briefly.

So I have spent the past hours trying to prove this claim using the theorem:
a = sup(A) ⇔ ∀ ε>0 (( ∀ x∈A x ≤ a + ε )∧( ∃ x∈A x > a - ε ))

I aim to prove true for: ∀ ε>0 (( ∀ x∈A x2 ≤ a2 + ε )∧( ∃ x∈A x2 > a2 - ε )), which is equivalent to proving ∀ ε>0 (( ∀ x∈B x ≤ b + ε )∧( ∃ x∈B x > b - ε )), given how set B is related to A.

As for the proof:
Firstly, it is given that A is bounded above, this means sup(A) exists.
Letting a = sup(A) gives: ∀ ε>0 (( ∀ x∈A x ≤ a + ε )∧( ∃ x∈A x > a - ε )) statement 1
I was able to use the definition of supremum to get a≥x and since a,x>0 , a2≥x2. With this result, it is easy to get the first part of the definition for B: ∀ ε>0 ( ∀ x∈A x2 ≤ a2 + ε ).
But the this result is not as helpful when proving the second part (namely, ∀ ε>0 ( ∃ x∈A x > a - ε )), neither is statement 1 (tried squaring both sides and messing with the inequalities but didn't work).

What I really need to prove is just there exist an x such that x2 > a - ε, this seems almost to be the definition of supremum. I took a further step, attempting to prove by cases with case 1 being a∈A, this gives the desired result easily; case 2 is a∉A, again, the difficulties arise.

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
Please help.

If you can assume (or prove) that for ##x, y > 0, \ x \le y \ \Leftrightarrow x^2 \le y^2##, then I would suggest a different approach using the definition of supremum as the least upper bound.

Last edited:
The second part is readily proved by contradiction. Assume it is false, ie ##\neg(\forall\varepsilon>0,\ \exists x\in B:\ x>a^2-\varepsilon)##, where ##a\triangleq \sup(A)##. That is equivalent to ##\exists \varepsilon>0,\ \forall x\in B:\ x\leq a^2-\varepsilon## which, because the square function is a monotonic bijection between ##A\subseteq\mathbb R^+## and ##B\subseteq\mathbb R^+##, is equivalent to ##\exists \varepsilon>0,\ \forall y\in A:\ y^2\leq a^2-\varepsilon##.

Try completing the square of ##a^2-\varepsilon## in order to find an upper bound for ##A## that is less than ##a##, which will give us the contradiction we need.

Likes i_hate_math
PeroK said:
If you can assume (or prove) that for ##x, y > 0, \ x \le y \ \Leftrightarrow x^2 \le y^2##, then I would suggest a different approach using the definition of supremum as the least upper bound.
I don't quite get what you're suggesting. Could you be a bit more specific about using the definition of supremum?

andrewkirk said:
The second part is readily proved by contradiction. Assume it is false, ie ##\neg(\forall\varepsilon>0,\ \exists x\in B:\ x>a^2-\varepsilon)##, where ##a\triangleq \sup(A)##. That is equivalent to ##\exists \varepsilon>0,\ \forall x\in B:\ x\leq a^2-\varepsilon## which, because the square function is a monotonic bijection between ##A\subseteq\mathbb R^+## and ##B\subseteq\mathbb R^+##, is equivalent to ##\exists \varepsilon>0,\ \forall y\in A:\ y^2\leq a^2-\varepsilon##.

Try completing the square of ##a^2-\varepsilon## in order to find an upper bound for ##A## that is less than ##a##, which will give us the contradiction we need.
Thank you very much for your quick response, very thorough explanation. I'll work on it!

i_hate_math said:
I don't quite get what you're suggesting. Could you be a bit more specific about using the definition of supremum?

The supremum is the least upper bound. ##a = sup(A)## means:

1) ##a## is an upper bound for A (##\forall x \in A, x \le a##)

2) If ##b## is an upper bound for ##A## then ##a \le b##

That's what a supremum is, by definition.

To help you a little, if ##a = sup(A)## you could show thta ##a^2 = sup(B)## by showing that:

1) ##\forall x \in B, x \le a^2##

2) If ##b## is an upper bound for ##B## then ##a^2 \le b##

Likes i_hate_math
PeroK said:
The supremum is the least upper bound. ##a = sup(A)## means:

1) ##a## is an upper bound for A (##\forall x \in A, x \le a##)

2) If ##b## is an upper bound for ##A## then ##a \le b##

That's what a supremum is, by definition.

To help you a little, if ##a = sup(A)## you could show thta ##a^2 = sup(B)## by showing that:

1) ##\forall x \in B, x \le a^2##

2) If ##b## is an upper bound for ##B## then ##a^2 \le b##

I am able to prove (1) as it is equivalent to ∀x∈A x2 ≤ a2, which can be derived from ∀x∈A x ≤ a (for positive x and a).
But I am having trouble with the second part, because the only thing we know about b so far is ∀x∈b x ≤ b, can also be written as ∀x∈A x2 ≤ b. This does not , though, give the desired a2≤b. Could you enlighten me a bit further?

andrewkirk said:

I've tried your suggested method, and it worked well and I am well convinced. However, there are still a few things I am not certain:
1. Is it sound to get from ∀ε>0 ∃x∈A, x≤a that ∀ε>0 ∃x∈A, x2≤a2 ?
2. For when I am rewriting the logical notations of these statements, do I need to assign different parameters x, y .etc for elements in different sets? e.g. x and y in your reply

Thanks heaps.

i_hate_math said:
1. Is it sound to get from ∀ε>0 ∃x∈A, x≤a that ∀ε>0 ∃x∈A, x2≤a2 ?
Yes, it is sound because
$$x\geq 0\to\left(x\leq a\ \leftrightarrow x^2\leq a^2\right)$$
It would be worthwhile to prove that formally as an exercise.

It is the absence of that antecedent condition ##x\geq 0## that prevents part (b) of the question in the OP from being true.
2. For when I am rewriting the logical notations of these statements, do I need to assign different parameters x, y .etc for elements in different sets? e.g. x and y in your reply
It is not strictly necessary, because the scope of a variable is restricted to the smallest containing formula in which it is quantified. However I think it is good practice to use different variables for members of different sets, because it makes it easier for the reader to follow.

Likes i_hate_math
i_hate_math said:
I am able to prove (1) as it is equivalent to ∀x∈A x2 ≤ a2, which can be derived from ∀x∈A x ≤ a (for positive x and a).
But I am having trouble with the second part, because the only thing we know about b so far is ∀x∈b x ≤ b, can also be written as ∀x∈A x2 ≤ b. This does not , though, give the desired a2≤b. Could you enlighten me a bit further?

You need to use the fact that ##a = Sup(A)##. Hint: use ##\forall x \in A, x \le \sqrt{b}##

Likes i_hate_math

Related to Upper bound and supremum problem

1. What is an upper bound in mathematics?

An upper bound is a number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a given set. It is often used in mathematical analysis to find the maximum value of a set of numbers.

2. What is the difference between an upper bound and a supremum?

An upper bound is a number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a set, while a supremum is the smallest number that is still an upper bound for the set. In other words, the supremum is the smallest upper bound.

3. How do you find the supremum of a set of numbers?

To find the supremum of a set of numbers, you must first determine all of the upper bounds for the set. Then, the supremum is the smallest of these upper bounds.

4. What is the importance of upper bounds and supremum in mathematical analysis?

Upper bounds and supremum are important in mathematical analysis because they help determine the maximum value of a set of numbers. This information is useful in solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of mathematical functions.

5. Can a set have more than one supremum?

No, a set can only have one supremum. However, it is possible for a set to have multiple upper bounds (including the supremum). In this case, the supremum is the smallest of the upper bounds.