Up, up and away at the TWA Hotel

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the former Trans World Airlines terminal at JFK Airport in New York has reopened as a hotel, featuring 1960s decor and rotary phones in the rooms. While some may question the functionality of the rotary phones in today's world, it is speculated that they may still be able to make calls using a microcontroller to translate the dialing.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The former Trans World Airlines terminal at JFK Airport in New York, closed since 2001, has just reopened as a hotel, restored to its former appearance, with rooms containing period 1960s furniture and rotary phones.

Up, up and away at the TWA Hotel (CBS Sunday Morning)

I flew out of there once, to London, more than 40 years ago.

TWA2.jpg
TWA1.jpg

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
The part that would in my estimation, not work so well for today, are the "rotary telephones". Corrective comments on this may be expected.

I wonder if the "rotary phones" are just regular PBX phones with a dial on them that the microcontroller reads and translates into normal DTMF dialing. We need to get somebody to call us on one of them, and spin the dial so we can hear if it generates DTMF or pulses... :smile:

Related to Up, up and away at the TWA Hotel

1. What is the TWA Hotel?

The TWA Hotel is a hotel located at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. It is built inside the iconic 1962 TWA Flight Center, which was designed by architect Eero Saarinen.

2. How did the TWA Hotel get its name?

The TWA Hotel is named after Trans World Airlines (TWA), the former airline that operated out of the TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport from 1962 to 2001.

3. What makes the TWA Hotel unique?

The TWA Hotel is unique because it offers guests the opportunity to stay in a historic landmark. The TWA Flight Center has been meticulously restored to its 1960s glory, and the hotel features mid-century modern design elements. It also has a rooftop infinity pool overlooking the runway and a museum dedicated to the history of TWA.

4. Can non-guests visit the TWA Hotel?

Yes, non-guests are welcome to visit the TWA Hotel and enjoy its amenities, such as the restaurants, bars, and observation deck. The museum is also open to the public.

5. How can I book a stay at the TWA Hotel?

You can book a stay at the TWA Hotel by visiting their website or by calling their reservation line. You can also book through third-party booking sites. It is recommended to book in advance as the hotel tends to fill up quickly.