Unveiling the Significance of BCS Theory: Celebrating 50 Years at CERN

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary: I agree with what you say,but I'm not sure about Weinberg himself, or whether he meant what he was saying when he was giving this talk. (I was there) He seemed to be extremely nervous while giving the talk, especially with Philip Anderson in the audience.It seemed to me that he was invited there because he was famous, and people were expecting some nice words from him in response to the celebration.I would look at him as more of a party clown in that event... I think he felt so too after he was done speaking. I can so remember the tension that went on in the room even now...Well, he is in the lion's den, so to speak. So it is
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This is the text of the http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/32522" at the recent celebration to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the BCS Theory of Superconductivity. Considering it came from him, it should smash once and for all, the silly notion that condensed matter physics does not produce fundamental knowledge that is as important as those that came out of high energy/elementary particle physics.

People who still think that they should only go into elementary particles/field theory/string/etc. to study something the most fundamental aspect of our universe should read this article carefully.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with what you say,

but I'm not sure about Weinberg himself, or whether he meant what he was saying when he was giving this talk. (I was there) He seemed to be extremely nervous while giving the talk, especially with Philip Anderson in the audience.

It seemed to me that he was invited there because he was famous, and people were expecting some nice words from him in response to the celebration.
I would look at him as more of a party clown in that event... I think he felt so too after he was done speaking. I can so remember the tension that went on in the room even now...

Last edited:
Well, he is in the lion's den, so to speak. So it is understandable, considering the clash of philosophy between him and the rest of the condensed matter field, and especially Anderson and Laughlin, that he would be uncomfortable. I'm glad they invited him. And I'm glad he gave this speech, because many people in elementary particle physics (and I work in an high energy physics division) dismissed condensed matter as being irrelevant to what they do. Only someone ignorant of the history of the origin of many of the knowledge that we have today would do that.

At the very least, he's trying to mend the fences that was destroyed by Gell-Mann.

Zz.

Related to Unveiling the Significance of BCS Theory: Celebrating 50 Years at CERN

What is the BCS theory?

The BCS theory, also known as the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer theory, is a groundbreaking theory in the field of condensed matter physics. It explains the phenomenon of superconductivity, which is the ability of certain materials to conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures.

Why is the BCS theory significant?

The BCS theory revolutionized our understanding of superconductivity and has been validated by numerous experiments. It has also led to the development of practical applications such as MRI machines and high-speed trains. Celebrating its 50 years at CERN highlights the enduring impact of this theory on modern physics.

How does the BCS theory work?

The BCS theory proposes that at very low temperatures, the electrons in a superconductor form pairs called Cooper pairs. These pairs are able to move through the material without any resistance, resulting in superconductivity. The theory also explains the energy gap observed in superconductors.

What advancements have been made in understanding the BCS theory over the past 50 years?

Over the past 50 years, advancements in technology and new experimental techniques have allowed scientists to further investigate and validate the BCS theory. This has led to a better understanding of superconductivity and the discovery of new types of superconductors.

How has the BCS theory impacted other areas of physics?

The BCS theory has not only significantly impacted the field of condensed matter physics, but it has also influenced other areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and materials science. It has also inspired further research and advancements in our understanding of fundamental physical phenomena.