Unveiling the Mystery of Invisible Spider Webs

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty humans face in distinguishing spider webs, and the potential role of light and physics in this phenomenon. It is suggested that spider webs may have evolved to be almost invisible in order to increase their chances of catching prey. The thinness of individual strands may also contribute to their invisibility to the human eye.
Voodoo doodler
Hello everyone,

I recently encountered that dreaded moment when walking where you get a face full of an seemingly invisible spider web. It got me thinking about why these webs are so difficult for humans to distinguish; unless of course we see them at the correct angle. Do they somehow bend light to make them indistinguishable from their surroundings?

Note: I'd enjoy hearing about how this material interacts with light, and the physics behind why this material or any material like it is so difficult to see.

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that spider webs evolved the way they did as there is an obvious natural selection advantage for a spider making webs that are almost invisible = more food.
It's not surprising that a web which is almost invisible to the spider's prey is also almost invisible for a human.

I don't think it's to do with bending light, it's seems more likely that because the individual strands are so very thin this makes it difficult for the visual cognitive process to distinguish from background.

Last edited:

Related to Unveiling the Mystery of Invisible Spider Webs

1. How do spiders create invisible webs?

Spiders produce invisible webs by using a combination of silk proteins and specialized glands in their bodies. The silk proteins are extruded through the glands and harden upon exposure to the air, creating the thin, nearly invisible strands that make up a spider web.

2. Why are some spider webs visible while others are not?

The visibility of a spider web depends on the type of silk used by the spider and the angle of light hitting the web. Some webs may be more visible due to the presence of debris or moisture, while others may appear invisible due to the angle of light or the type of silk used.

3. Are there any benefits to spiders creating invisible webs?

Invisible webs may provide an advantage for spiders as they can catch prey without being seen. This allows them to avoid detection by potential predators and increases their chances of successful catches.

4. Can humans make use of invisible spider webs?

Scientists are currently studying the properties of spider silk and how it can be used for various applications, such as in the production of bulletproof vests and artificial tendons. However, the process of creating invisible webs is still not fully understood and replicating it is a challenge.

5. Do all spiders create invisible webs?

No, not all spiders create invisible webs. Some species of spiders use different types of silk for their webs, such as thicker and more visible strands. Additionally, some spiders do not create webs at all and instead use other methods for catching prey.