Unsteady Pipe-Flow Momentum Balance: Solving for Volumetric Time Rate of Change

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a problem involving an incompressible, unsteady fluid passing through a pipe. The main question is how to solve for the volumetric time rate of change integral, and it is suggested to consult BSL, Chapter 7 for a solution.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Suppose we have an incompressible UNSTEADY fluid passing through a level pipe. Let station 1 have area, velocity, and pressure ##A_1##, ##V_1(t)## and ##P_1(t)##. Station 2 is defined similarly. I know the unsteady Bernoulli equation could solve this, but if I wanted to make a momentum balance I would have $$\partial_t\iiint_v \vec{V} \rho \, dv + \iint_{\partial v} \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V} \cdot \hat{n}) \, dS = \sum \vec{F}$$ I'm not worried about any specifics here except for one detail, the volumetric time rate of change integral. Since velocity ##\vec{V}## monotonically changes from station 1 to station 2, this integral ##\partial_t\iiint_v \vec{V} \rho \, dv## is definitely not zero; then how do we solve for it? Would we have to look at Navier-Stokes for the fluid to get the fluid velocity profile to solve? I know NS is a momentum balance and takes identical form to the equation I posted, but I'm not sure how to proceed here. Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the usual approach, if the goal is to do this analytically, would be to use the divergence theorem to remove the integrals and solve the integrands as a system of differential equations.

Likes member 428835
Josh,

Have you checked out BSL, Chapter 7 like I suggested. They show how to do what you want for an inviscid fluid. It involves using the rate of change of kinetic energy within the control volume.

Chestermiller said:
Josh,

Have you checked out BSL, Chapter 7 like I suggested. They show how to do what you want for an inviscid fluid. It involves using the rate of change of kinetic energy within the control volume.
I don't have the book on me right now. I moved a little while ago and left my book at my old school. I am picking it up this November though, so I was planning on studying it then! I'll be sure to give it a good read. Perhaps I'll check and see if our library has it now though. Then I can read before asking a bunch of questions.

Related to Unsteady Pipe-Flow Momentum Balance: Solving for Volumetric Time Rate of Change

What is pipe-flow momentum balance?

Pipe-flow momentum balance is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the forces acting on a fluid in a pipe and the resulting motion of the fluid.

What is the equation for pipe-flow momentum balance?

The equation for pipe-flow momentum balance is F = ρAV, where F is the net force acting on the fluid, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the average velocity of the fluid.

How is pipe-flow momentum balance used in practical applications?

Pipe-flow momentum balance is used in various practical applications, such as designing and analyzing pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and manufacturing to ensure the proper flow of fluids.

What are the assumptions made in pipe-flow momentum balance?

The main assumptions made in pipe-flow momentum balance include the fluid being incompressible, the flow being steady and uniform, and the pipe being straight and horizontal. Additionally, the effects of viscosity and friction are usually neglected.

What are the limitations of pipe-flow momentum balance?

Pipe-flow momentum balance is limited in its applicability to cases where the flow is steady and the fluid is incompressible. It also does not take into account the effects of turbulence and viscosity, which can be significant in certain situations.