Unstable 5D Theories: The Search for Stable Black Holes in Higher Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the instability and fine tuning issues of 5D theories, such as those of Paul Wesson and Randall-Sundrum. The advisor warns against spending too much time studying these theories due to their complexity and potential intractability. The paper provided by the advisor, "Black Holes in Higher Dimensions" by Gary Horowitz, discusses the instability of these theories and the necessary fine tuning for 5D models. However, the speaker still struggles to grasp the concept and may avoid incorporating it into their own research.
TomServo
I tried a cursory search for this but couldn't find it.

I was talking with my advisor about 5D theories such as those of Paul Wesson and Randall-Sundrum, and he said that I shouldn't spend too much time studying those theories because they are unstable, or require so many corrections to stabilize them that they become intractable. However, I find them intriguing anyway. I want to understand the stability problems he was talking about, such as imaginary mass and gravitational collapse of the extra dimension.

He gave me a paper that talked a little about it but I'm still not grasping what makes these theories so unstable so I might avoid this if I try to build my own model (as a side project to my main research).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a start for discussion, can you link to the paper your advisor gave you?

Likes vanhees71
PAllen said:
As a start for discussion, can you link to the paper your advisor gave you?

https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.2055

He directed my attention to the first paragraph on the second page. I also think references 74-77 are supposed to be about the fine tuning necessary in 5D models.

TomServo said:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.2055

He directed my attention to the first paragraph on the second page. I also think references 74-77 are supposed to be about the fine tuning necessary in 5D models.
The highest number reference I see is 49.

I don't understand anything in the paragraph you mention as showing instability, but this is not remotely my area of expertise. However, with this reference, I hope someone else here might be able to help.

Try "Black Holes in Higher Dimensions", Gary Horowitz.

Related to Unstable 5D Theories: The Search for Stable Black Holes in Higher Dimensions

1. What is 5D relativity and stability?

5D relativity and stability is a theory in physics that describes the behavior of objects in a five-dimensional space-time, as opposed to the traditional four dimensions of length, width, height, and time. It suggests that there may be additional dimensions beyond the three we can perceive, and that these dimensions can affect the stability of physical systems.

2. How is 5D relativity and stability different from traditional relativity?

Traditional relativity, also known as Einstein's theory of general relativity, only considers the effects of gravity on objects in a four-dimensional space-time. 5D relativity and stability takes into account the additional dimension and how it affects the behavior of objects and the stability of physical systems.

3. What evidence supports the existence of 5D relativity and stability?

While there is no direct evidence for the existence of a fifth dimension, there are several theoretical models that suggest its existence, such as string theory and Kaluza-Klein theory. Additionally, observations of the behavior of subatomic particles and the expansion of the universe also support the idea of extra dimensions.

4. How does 5D relativity and stability impact our understanding of the universe?

5D relativity and stability challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and forces us to consider the possibility of additional dimensions beyond what we can perceive. It also has implications for our understanding of gravity and the behavior of objects on a larger scale, such as galaxies and the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any practical applications of 5D relativity and stability?

While the theory is still being studied and developed, there are potential practical applications of 5D relativity and stability, such as in the fields of quantum computing and astrophysics. Understanding and manipulating the higher dimensions could also lead to advancements in technology and new ways of thinking about the universe.